1

Unedited.
Disclaimer: This book is set in the 90's so the cast list are popular models and actresses in the 90's.

***

My first impression of the large, gothic architectural building is that it could undoubtedly double for a haunted house. To set foot in that building is to voluntarily admit yourself into a horror film, where you're bound to encounter restless ghosts, or ironically, psychotic psychiatrists.

"Oh honey look how beautiful this place is!"

"Yeah, it's something" I lied, but by my mothers' overly saccharine smile and forced tone I could tell that she was lying too.

I took a deep breath, exhaled and walked away from the car and towards the scary building; My suitcase seeming heavier as I dragged it along behind me.

At the command of a couple of knocks two Grand doors that greeted us at the top of the steps swung open, revealing an elderly woman.

She wore a long grey dress skirt and a matching blazer, she had her hair tied into a sleek bun, and her lips stained with a perfectly applied red lipstick. Yet despite the effort she was still a very unattractive woman.

She smiled at my mother.
"Welcome to the Aurora Grove Psychiatric Institution, I am Mrs.Moriarty and you must be Mrs. Saint Claire."

"Miss Saint Claire" I corrected, in a notedly brute manner.

Mrs.Moriarty's eyes broke away from my mothers' and met mine."Oh my apologies then, Miss. Saint Claire"

I felt my mothers glance boring into the side of my face, so I pretended to stare off into the distance.

"It's perfectly alright. This is my daughter Lavender, she's a little reluctant to be here but she'll warm up soon, I promise."

"Oh, I know she will."
Mrs.Moriarty smiled at me with the most deceiving look I had ever seen. From those spectating at a glance she looked to be grinning at me innocently, but in truth, our eyes were engaged in a bloody battle. Mines repping defiance, and hers demanding control.

My mothers voice broke us out of our trance.
"Well I best be on my way, I'm already very late for a meeting" She looked at her watch and then placed a kiss on my forehead.
I wiped the remains of her glossy lipstick off of my forehead and rolled my eyes.
"Behave yourself, I know Mrs. Moriarty will take great care of you."

I dragged my mother by her arm to a corner away from Mrs. Moriarty's peeping ears."Mom what am I doing here? I am not crazy and I know that you know that"

Since our little road trip from the city to this institution, I had not spoken more than a series of moans and grumbles. I was so angry at my mother for agreeing to give me away. I mean, I could see a psychiatrist on weekdays or go to church camp, but to leave me in a mental institution when I am not at all crazy, that was something I had not expected. My frustration had now morphed into a pleading desperation.

"I'm sorry Lavender, but this is what's best for you honey. Honestly what did you expect to happen after that stunt you pulled?"

I looked up at her with an angry expression but instead of insinuating the argument I sighed in defeat.

"Yeah" I mumbled once again retreating to my feelings of frustration and disappointment.

"Goodbye honey, mommy loves you" With the sound of my mothers ringtone her fleeting moment of sentiment was over. "Hi Mr. Aziz, I am so sorry, you see my car broke down in the middle of the road and-" The rest of her words were muted by the large wooden doors that now separated me from the outside world.