Prologue

PROLOGUE

Shame. 

Disgrace. 

Disgust.

Those were just some of the words that described my intolerable behavior over the past few years by the others whom stared at me as I walked towards Father’s chair. As I advanced closer and closer towards where Father sat, the crowd of angels parted and whispered amongst themselves. Their whispers were loud enough for me hear and it hurt. It hurt to think that I was no longer clean. Pure, as all angels of Father were created to be.

“Evangeline,” Father boomed, causing the angels to stop whispering and they fell into silence “Advance”.

I did as I was bid. I was at the mercy of Father; who really showed mercy to any angels that he created.

“You have disgraced me, Evangeline” he announced. His lips were thin and un-accepting of my deed.

“Father-” I spoke up with my voice strong and sure but Father raised a hand to silence me.

“Not only have you disgraced me, but you brothers and sisters as well. Do you have any idea what you have done? Do you have any idea the seriousness of your actions?”

“Father, please. You don’t understand-”

“Silence” he ordered, “I do not what to hear what you have to say. You have no reason to defend your actions. You have chosen your action and so will I”.

“Please” I voiced as I stepped closer to him and away from the others who watched our interaction with curiosity, “I know you don’t approve of what is done-”

“Enough Evangeline!”

“But I couldn’t stop it from happening. The feeling snuck up on me before I could do anything”.

“Evangeline!” Father roared over me but I continued to plead my case.

“It wasn’t my fault, Father!”

“And just whose is it?” Father questioned. I finally captured his attention.

“Yours” I answered which caused the angels around us to gasp at my accusation.

“I beg your pardon?” Father demanded.

“If you didn’t want us to question Human emotions, than you shouldn’t have gave us the task of watching the Humans”.

“HOW DARE YOU!?!” yelled in outrage, “No more. I have had enough. My punishment for you is the loss of you Grace and Banishment from Heaven!”

Every angel around us gasped at the stern announcement of my punishment in an unforgiving tone.

I felt like I stopped breathing.

Banishment and the loss of my Angelic Grace?! 

That was the worse punishment Father could bestow on us.

And that was the cost of my deed.