Chapter 2 - Part 1

Kyle

Kyle

I couldn't believe what I was seeing but there was no disputing the pictures I held in my hands. There was so much blood and the dead werewolf lay on the ground, its amber eyes unseeing into the distance.

"No scent of another werewolf was found at the scene," Cade told me. I lifted my eyes to his. My mind was reeling. If a werewolf hadn't done this, who had?

"That's not possible," I murmured, taking another look at the photos, hoping to discover something that would explain what had happened, but other than the dead werewolf matted with dirt and blood, there wasn't anything else. There were no clues in the photos that revealed who had taken the life of the werewolf by force.

From the looks of the photos the werewolf had put up a brave fight but its opponent had been stronger. Strong enough to beat it before finishing it off with a stab through the heart. We weren't indestructible but there was no way this could have been done by something other than another werewolf.

"Who was it?" I asked, feeling a rising panic at the thought that Crystal was out there somewhere, vulnerable to an attack like this.

"A male rogue."

"Have there been other bodies?" I asked the question even though I was scared of the answer.

"Yes." A cold vice-like grip squeezed my heart.

"Crystal?" I asked, feeling my increasing panic.

Cade shook his head.

"All the bodies we've discovered have been rogue male werewolves in wolf form. Wherever Crystal is, she has managed to evade whoever is doing this."

My relief was brief. She may be safe at the moment but if I didn't find her soon she wouldn't be. I took in the information as I studied the picture.

"Where was the body found?" I asked, feeling my increasing fear over my missing mate, who didn't want to be discovered.

In my subconscious I was already thinking of Crystal out there somewhere. Even for a moment thinking this could happen to her nearly stopped my breath in my lungs. If this could be done to a strong male werewolf, she wouldn't have a chance in hell of surviving. Hell, she couldn't even shift into her wolf. I dragged a hand through my hair, trying to rein in my panic.

"On the perimeter of Keri's territory."

The mention of my friend, who I was still pretty pissed at, made me look up sharply at Cade.

"She's safe." His answer gave me relief. Despite the fact our friendship had been affected by her deception, I still cared deeply for her.

"Blake's upped security around the compound," he added, easing my concern. Blake would put every measure in place to keep her safe.

"How many murders have there been?" was my next question.

"Ten," my uncle answered. My eyes shot up to his.