AfterStory: Avatar: The Legend of Aang~ Zuko's Life Chapter 1

After the war broke out and peace returned to the world, Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and Zuko went on their separate ways. Aang would travel freely around the four nations. Katara, being not contented on her skills as a waterbender tries to learn more about water bending. Sokka returns to the tribe where he is needed for protection but is joined by a hired swordsman, also to teach him enhance his sword fighting abilities since he doesn't possess a water bending ability. Toph returned to her parents, which is then rejoiced when she did so. They understood her well enough to let her do whatever she wants, including the wrestling she had joined ever since. Because Aang took away firelord Ozai's firebending technique, the fire nation is in great need of a new firelord. Zuko, which is heir of the throne, took over the duties and responsibilities of a firelord. He was then crowned the new firelord by Aang. On their way, everyone didn't seem to have a happy ending. Aang who is inlove with Katara, end up setting on a journey without her since he knew that she never has feelings for him so Aang made a decision to let Katara go. 

At the fire nation, Zuko grew restless since his training as the heir of the throne was interrupted by his search for the avatar. But beside from his duties, he still had his private and personal life. after the coronation of new firelord, Zuko looked for Mai right after the ceremony. He found her at one of the temples.

"I've been looking for you.."

"Things turned out just like how I wanted them to."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You see, everyone's rejoicing. After you became the new firelord, there's nothing I can wish for. Nothing would replace the happiness I feel. But still, it isn't right for me to rejoice, knowing that I won't be able to see one of my friends again."

"I'm sorry, I have tried to..."

"Don't be sorry. As I have said, eveything turned out just how I wanted them to. Don't confuse my feelings with what I'm thinking. It's different. I prefer what's happening now than what had happened in the past. Things are better now. I didn't regret what I have done to make things right...to save you."

"I understand but please listen to me, there's something I want to tell you."

"No one understands me."

"Yes I do, if you could just.."

"Don't try to utter a word, if you do, I won't listen. What you wanted to say won't change anything. But inspite of what had happened, don't forget that my feelings for you never changed. It won't change, indeed. And also, don't forget that I'm always at your back. Even things would happen again and again I would always do what I think is right, and what I feel is right."

Mai Left the temple leaving Zuko behind. Zuko confused and being unable to think of what to do next, decided to return to his room. 

*Zuko's POV*

I was shocked by what she said. I don't know what to do, so I hurried back to my room, lay down on my bed and look at my wall endlessly. I don't understand. Why does it have to be like this? She's right. I should not also confuse my feelings with what I'm thinking. But that's not it. I've been longing to tell her that I love her, it's all that matters. I wanted her to know how much I do love her. But how would I supposed to do that, now that I knew it's painful for her to lose one of her only friends, my sister. I have done everything I could, I even chased Azula even she attempted to kill Mom. I also want my sister back, for some reasons. But as of now, I couldn't get my attention out of Mai. I have been thinking of her ever since I saw her fight with my sister. I miss her. Then, after some time, I realized that I have learned to love her, knowing that I have a crush on her ever since we were kids. But things have changed now. Everything became complicated. I wanted to tell her how I really feel for her. Yet, I'm scared that she won't return the feelings I had for her. But the kiss? I'm so confused. I really don't know what to do. Maybe I should try to settle this out when things got less complicated.

*****************************