New Job

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I swing my hand towards my bed-side cabinet to press the snooze button on the alarm. My natural instinct stopped me. It was the first day of my new job. I almost felt like hibernating in my bed forever and never leaving. Who would I meet there? What will people think of me? I forced myself out of my irresistible bed, struggling not to cling on to the covers. I eventually landed with a thump on the floor, buried in covers.

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

'Nicole! Are you okay? You landed with quite a thump!'
My mum asked. She's very panicky. I hurt my elbows but it's best to say yes to stop her from worrying. I turn on my shower and effortlessly swing open my wardrobe doors digging through, looking for something to wear. Now this was a big decision to make. Do I wear a smart top with black trousers or a smart, plain dress? Or do I go extravagant and wear the rainbow dress I wore to Tara's (my best friend) fancy dress birthday party with my favourite green and orange stripy tights. Actually, it's best not to because I don't want to make a crazy first impression. I think I'll go with the dress. I get into the shower and sing all of Beyonce's recent album and then eventually get dry and put on the dress. I go and look at my human size mirror on my wall and notice that it shows my bruises on my elbows from where I fell of my bed this morning.

I ignore it hoping that they won't notice and walk back into the bathroom. I firstly cleanse my face hoping that it will miraculously get rid of my acne and then proceed to brush my teeth. I walk back into my bedroom and dry my hair with the racket of a hairdryer. We really should get a new one. This ones lasted for around ten years now. I finish drying my hair and then burn myself a number of times straightening it. My hairs naturally curly, I can't help it but I guess I like it sometimes. It has its good and bad days. I put a pretty black flower clip in my fringe and then cover all my burns in foundation hoping that I won't sweat it off later on in the work day.

After covering my arms in foundation, I start to use foundation the right way and put it on my face, attempting to make me look slightly more prettier. I then put powder on and concealer where it's necessary which is pretty much my whole face. Then I don't bother with contour but I put nude lipstick on and mascara. I then fill in my eyebrows without making them look like slugs. I then succeed making myself look half-decent for my first day at work.

I put my fluffy coat on and my white high heels. I say bye to my family and grab my car keys and walk out the house. I pretended to be confident when deep down I knew and I think everyone else knew that I was so nervous, I couldn't stop shaking. I started sweating and when I sweat, the whole of my arms sweat. This was bad today because it could sweat the foundation off and then my skin would be all blotchy. I stop myself thinking about how I look and focus on the road. On the way, I got lost and ended up in the Tesco car park. Don't worry I wasn't making this effort for a cashier person when I was just going to put an apron over the top my outfit. I turned around and eventually found the work place. I park and lock my car. I then realise that I forgot to get my handbag so I walk back to my car to collect my bag.

I press the buzzer, hoping an ex-fireman would come and answer and wipe the sweat off my forehead and swing me into his arms. In reality, that wasn't going to happen. A lady with a black, short-sleeved top on and a long, slim white skirt came down and let me in. She didn't say anything to me. Did I make the wrong dress choice? Do I look bad? Am I smiling too much? I smile too much when I'm nervous. I take the lift up to the floor I was working on so I didn't sweat even more walking up three flights of stairs. The first person who introduces herself to me is one of my colleagues called Kat. She goes and sits down at her desk, smiles at me showing all of her teeth and gets on with her work. More and more people came up to me and introduced themselves to me and finally, the final person introduced themselves.

'Hey I'm Rowan, nice to meet you'

He goes to shake my hand and I accept his hand shake.

'Erm, err, hi I'm Nicole'

'Yeah you already told us all'

He laughs.

'Oh yeah. Sorry. I'm a little nervous'

'Yeah we tend to look quite intimidating. You'll get used to it and look intimidating yourself don't worry. Oh and that's not a bad thing. It's a good thing when you're in the police career.'

'Yep'

There was nothing else I could say but 'yep'. That's my favourite word when I see someone I fancy. Oh dang I just admitted that I like Rowan Thundom. Well if you saw him, I guarantee you'll think the same thing. Every time his ripped body moves, his chestnut brown, slicked back hair sways and his forest green eyes sparkle and his defined jawline attracts me with every move he makes. Yeah I think I'm a bit obsessed. Trying not to dribble in heaven, I start my scheme for today. I need to try and track down a burglar in a certain area using computer software.

Finally, my day ended and it took longer then I thought. I was working with Kat and Rowan was working alone. Everyone else was gone but us three. Rowan packed up and walked up to my desk.

'Goodnight Nicole. See you tomorrow'

He smiled and winked.

'Night Rowan'

I smiled back and pulled my auburn hair behind my ears.

'You so like him', said Kat.

I pulled an awkward face and admitted it to her and she confessed that she had a crush on him when she first started work. The work day was over and I wasn't quite sure what to think about it. All I know is that I may of met the love of my life....

Author's Note:
This chapter took me a while to plan and write. I changed a few things along the way. Sorry if some things are grammatically incorrect. I hope you enjoyed the first proper chapter of this fictional story. Thank you for reading. ❤️