Bento

Indigo.

Deep, velvety indigo was the color of her long, flowing silky hair as the wind playfully whisked it around on that warm, breezy spring day.

Her light, sparkling aquamarine eyes blinked in surprise as she heard a certain phrase coming from her partner that she thought she would have never heard before. Well, at least at this point in time.

"Rokuro... what did you..."

She breathed, her facial expression almost mystified with the chilling vibrations that had just danced into her eardrums. She couldn't believe it. Of all the words to hear today, of all the things he could have said, of all the things he should have restrained himself from saying after her expression turned from happy-go-lucky to completely mad, almost frustrated.

"W-what did you just say about my 'Benio Bento!?'"

"N-nothing in particular!! J-just that it was dangerously... delicious!"

"Hmph! That's what I thought..."

Benio snapped, as Rokuro heavily sighed in relief. If he hadn't chosen his words before speaking, he thought, she would have his head on a stick without second thought. He gingerly picked up his chopsticks, his hands clammy and shaky from what terror could have lie beyond if he had commented back, "Well, it's just that your cooking is like seeing a vision of my death!" except to say that would be summoning a death god.

But he didn't realize that his thoughts were actually pouring out of his oblivious mind in the form of words. The classroom suddenly grew quiet. Cold, criticizing whispers were bouncing off the walls and beckoning from the open windows as the warm breeze turned into a bone-chilling wind.

"Did you hear that just now?"

"What just happened?"

"The twin star lovers just quarreled!"

"No way, they're dating?!"

"I heard they were already married!"

"Are they for real?"

"I can't believe he would say that out loud!"

The atmosphere of the room was suddenly chilled, virtually paralyzing the chestnut half-human in his place. Electricity seemed to be radiating off of Benio, directed straight at Rokuro, her expression fierce but cold, her face turning a deep rosy red. Rokuro gaped, having absolutely no idea what to do now that he had basically broke Benio. Words could no longer come out of his mouth. His lips parted, but he could not find any words to say.

Benio's gaze darkened as she found herself now looking at the ground, wondering why she had suddenly almost completely snapped because of something she was used to hearing. But this time it wasn't the same as the other times Rokuro had accused her of her terrible cooking abilities. Rokuro was not the boy he once was, and Benio was not the girl she once was. Her chest tightened, as if her stomach had twisted into a knot. She already knew why the pain felt much deeper this time. She and Rokuro weren't just "friends" anymore. They were romantic partners. Heat swelled in her heart, creeping upwards into her cheeks, creeping upwards into her eyes, and turning into tears, but she knew that if she had let them out now, in the middle of the classroom, that the resulting situation would be bothersome. She could already feel the accusatory whispers turning into harsh rumors over such a petty thing. Her thoughts seemed to go on for what seemed like 5 minutes, but she was only in place for 5 seconds before her body instinctively pushed back the chair with rapid force, dashing out of the classroom. She kept running and running, as time seemed to pass like an eternity as her negative thoughts ran rampantly full of anxiety.

But the moment before she was able to exit the courtyard, a firm, familiar hand strongly grasped her by the wrist and swung her around a corner.

"Benio, I can expla-"