Chapter 1: Where I Started

With special thanks to my friend, Christy who encouraged me with my writing and offered me ideas. I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you. Recognition goes to the band Mayday Parade as I used lyrics from their songs throughout the book.

I remember all those years ago. The years when I had found my other half. The years when I was lost and she found me.

I still remember how we had met. But to get there we would need to start 3 days before I had moved. When I was still in Georgia.

I ran down the stairs of my old, creaky house, the stairs creaking under my weight.

"MOM! I'M GOING TO BE LATE!" I screamed for the hundredth time that morning.

I heard her light footsteps on the floor above me. "I'm coming, Darius! Give me a minute!" she yelled back at me, a note of impatience in her voice.

Oh well if she's getting annoyed with me. I have to go, and I myself am losing patience.

I walked into the kitchen and sat down at the dining table, tapping the table top with my fingertips in an impatient rhythm. "MOM!" I yelled again.

"DAMMIT DARIUS, GIVE ME A MINUTE! I HAVE TO FINISH DOING MY MAKEUP BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO STRAIGHT TO WORK AFTER I DROP YOU OFF!"

"Well, what about the kids?" I yelled back up at her. "How are they getting to school?"

"Aunt Tiffany is picking them up for me and will take them to school!"

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, then adjusted my glasses.

"Ok but I'm still going to be late if I don't leave right now!"

I heard her footsteps pad across the floor and descend down the stairs.

I turned towards the doorway in time to see her hurry into the room.

"Ok let's go. Come on." she said, a hint of exhaustion in her voice.

I stood up from the table and followed her out the door, grabbing my back pack and headphones. "Why do you have to go to work so early today?"

"My boss needs me to type something up for him that he needs for a meeting at 9. I have to hurry," she said as she jerked the front door open. I followed her down the stone steps of our front yard, treading through the thick, fall leaves that lie, scattered across the grass. She jerked open the driver's side door and slid into her small, silver car.

I went around the other side of the car and got in the passenger side seat, pulling the seat belt across my body and clicking it into place. My mom and I slammed our doors shut at the same time. She quickly had the car started and in reverse out of the drive way.

"Why can't I drive myself to school?"

My mom didn't answer. She only focused her eyes out the back window as she pulled into the street. I just stared at the blue feathers and bells decoration my mom had hung on the rear view mirror.

"Ok listen," my mom said, as she turned in her seat to look forward.  "I can't drop you off at the gates. You'll have to walk from the crosswalk light," she had completely ignored my question.

"But mom that's a 5 minute walk. School starts in 5 minutes."

"Darius don't argue with me. I have to get to work."

I sat back in my seat and crossed my arms over my chest. "k," I said bluntly.

I heard my mom sigh. "Darius, I'm sorry. You're just going to have to take a tardy."