Chapter 14: Proving It

Bryn and I hung around at the park for a few more hours before taking a walk around the town, stopping at random business buildings and looking in before walking away and laughing. How awkward we must make these people feel by appearing randomly and staring at them then disappearing. These antics were our form of entertainment for the next hour or so before we returned to the park again. Just a pointless day, though it felt special to me.

Upon reaching the park bench again, Bryn turned around to face me, then sat on the ground by the bench.

I gave her a quizzical look that said, "why not just sit on the bench?"

She only smiled at my expression and focused her attention on the grass by pulling the slivers from the ground and piling them on the gravel sidewalk.

I sat down beside her and waited for her pile to grow. She silently continued pulling the grass from the ground as I watched, transfixed by her slender fingers, of which seemed to move with ease, tenderness and fragility.

At last, her eyes looked up to meet mine. "What?" she asked, her voice quiet.

I shook my head, "nothing,"

She shrugged at my response, "ok then,"

Again we sat in silence, but for a shorter period of time.

"You're shy," she stated.

I looked at her, unable to think of a response. She had caught me off guard.

"Uh...uh..." I stuttered.

"You are," she said, her face breaking into a smile.

"I am not," I finally found words.

"Oh? Prove it then,"

"How?" I asked.

"Find a way," she said, turning away from me with doubt.

"Ok," I said, moving closer to her.

"What are you doing?" she asked, a bit startled.

"Proving it," I whispered, as I leaned over and pressed my lips against hers.

At first, we sat in the same awkward position, but we soon moved closer together, both of us kissing the other.

I moved my hand up and held the back of her head, gently pulling her closer to me.

My eyes were closed, but I felt her hand on my cheek, her nails tenderly scratching my skin.

It must have lasted a while, but it felt like only a second. We broke apart and stared at each other.

"Darius?" she whispered, her breath on my skin.

"Yes?" I said, moving closer again, my lips centimeters from hers.

"I'm crushing on you," she answered.

I smiled. "As am I on you," our lips met again. I had no idea what this meant or what our relationship was now, but I didn't care at the moment. I could figure all that out later. Right now, it was just us.