Chapter 3 - Who Were You With?

Robby's POV
9:34 pm

"So... has Ethan come back yet?" I asked Hannah, who was partaking in an archery contest.

"Haven't seen him since he left." Hannah released the bowstring and let the arrow fly. The tip impaled itself into the bullseye as massive cheers erupted from the crowd around Hannah.

I walked around the village aimlessly, or at least until I came upon the library. Even from the outside, you could tell that it looked like a tornado came through. Books were everywhere, all across the floor. The bookshelves were empty, which you'd think would be impossible.

I decide to head in, at which time the librarian, Patrice, came up to me. She's young but is the village's teacher.

"Geez, this place looks like it got ransacked. What happened?"

"Well, Holly came in here, shouting some nonsense about something and looked through every book I have. I don't know what she was looking for, but she did leave a mess."

"Oh. I'll help clean up. This is odd, I thought she didn't like to read."

"That's what I thought, thank you by the way." Patrice came over and helped pick up some of the books.

I looked at one of the books on the desk. "Mystery Legends" it read.

"Oh, don't bother with that book. That's the one Holly was looking at but she tore out some pages. Some pages were already missing, I got that from a trip many years ago and gave it to Holly." I glanced at it and saw what he meant. The pages were torn, old, and wrinkled. I didn't bother to read it. Not only was it physically hard to read, but it was written in some odd language I couldn't understand.

"Holly said she would take that with her, but I guess she forgot it."

"Oh, I'll take it to her." I picked up the book and held it.

"Thank you kindly." I waved and left the library and headed back to see Hannah and the rest of the gang.

-Ethan POV-

I crept up the hill and went behind a tree. It was hard to tell who, but I saw two people sitting next to each other, one of them leaning on the other. The one who was slightly taller had their arm around the other person. They were talking, but I was so far away I couldn't hear everything.

"Yeah well...its....they just...I know...thanks...your....wait what....it'll be ok..." I couldn't make out everything they were saying.

I heard the voice keep talking...it was Holly. The other I couldn't tell. I started to walk out from behind the tree.

"Hey Holly-" I dropped my shovel. I bent over and picked it up, but when I was done, I only saw Holly, no one else with her.

"Hey, wasn't there someone just right here?"

"What? No there wasn't... wait... were you stalking me?!?" Holly sounded pissed. She crossed her arms.

"What!?! No! You just left, so I wanted to make sure you were ok. I swear!"

"I just... needed some time away from people... I can't be around people for too long. I... I just don't... feel right." Holly turned around and sat down, looking at the valley. I came over and sat next to her.

"Gorgeous night, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Really pretty." Holly looked around. I whistled and put my hand on top of hers. I could tell she was blushing. When she looked at me, I took it off.

"It's ok Ethan..." she whispered. We sat in silence for awhile.

"So... you like the nighttime?"

"A lot. It has a beauty that not many people see."

"Oh..." I heard fireworks go off behind me. We both turned around and saw fireworks going off from the village, exploding in many different colors.

"So, you made the fireworks?"

"Yeah. Do you like them? I tried really hard to make them look good." She kept looking at them. I smiled.

"They're amazing."

"C'mon. We should be getting back. Everyone is most likely worried about us." Holly stood up and I followed her.  As we were walking back to our horses...

"Hey, Holly...who was that you were with up there?"

"What do you mean? I was alone." She sounded genuinely confused.

"I saw someone had their arm around you and you were talking. Who was that?"

"I... don't know what you're talking about. I was alone, I wasn't with anyone." She hopped on her horse and rode off and I followed her. I knew she was lying, and I was determined to get answers, one way or another.