Chapter 2: Erik

I plunge the hoe deep into the ground, the crumbling earth splitting open and bleeding its warm soil out onto the plants. I imagine I am an adventurer, and this earth is my enemy. As I swing my noble blade, the monster leaps to the side, but I hold the hoe in both hands and block the monster's jaws. Whirling around, I deliver a near-fatal blow to the creature, and, with the force of a dragon, I carve right into its head, and watch its body fall in front of me.

"Erik! What in Azura's name are you doing?!" I snap into reality as I hear my father, Mralki, shout from our home, Frostfruit Inn. As I turn my head, I see him leading out of the window and shaking his fists. "Stop playing around, you're destroying the crops!" I feel myself go red as I hear the annoying laughter of Sissel and Britte mocking me. I turn, and see Ennis' head shaking in disappointment. This wasn't the life I had wanted.

I look down at the ground, and continue with my farming duties. Suddenly, I hear shouting and the noise of a fireball exploding on the ground. I whirl around and narrow my eyes. Forsworn.

There are four of them, but they appear to be following someone. That someone is fully-clad in armour, and wears a helmet that has horns curling round to the face either side. They carry a sword and shield at their side, and they turn to face the Forsworn.

There is a crowd gathering, and so I attempt to get into a good position to watch the battle. The adventurer, or at least that's what I think they are, cuts down two Fosworn as a third slashes them in the shoulder. A ripple of worry goes through the crowd. But, sure enough, the adventurer cuts down that one, too. The final Forsworn steps forward, and I hear Ennis tell us: "By the gods! That's a Forsworn Briarheart! This adventurer better watch out!"

Buzzing with anticipation, we notice the adventurer turn their head to see us, and we all begin to chant and cheer them on. The adventurer looks toward his enemy, and shouts such a shout that the Briarheart is flung against a rock, and killed instantly. We all cheer in astonishment.

Father walks to greets the adventurer, and slaps them on the back and talks about what I presume is an invitation to stay at Father's inn. The adventurer roars with laughter and walks with Father toward it.

"Father, please just let me talk to them!"

"No, Erik, he's an important guest, and I don't want you frightening him away!" Father says, sternly, and he leads me to my room. "Stay in here until morning, and don't speak to the adventurer whilst he's here. Understand?" I sigh, defeated.

"Yes, Father." He walks out of the room and I lie on the bed. This adventurer is my only chance to maybe get out of this village, so there's no way that I am not going to talk to him. I just need to wait until morning.