Chapter Eight

Alright, at this point I was getting fed up with Maya not answering her freaking phone so I ran up an extra flight of stairs to get to her apartment.

   Her mother answered her door. Chastity Noble was Maya's mother, and ran a pharmacy downtown. She changed her last name back to Noble, when her husband was put in jail for importing illegal drugs. (I was the one who found out, luckily she still likes me.)

   "Hello Nora, Maya is in her room if you want to see her." She smiled at me and waved her inside.

   "Thank you Ms. Noble." I smiled back as she closed the door.

   Maya's house was filled with all sorts of Japanese influence, with the artwork and right down to the weirdly shaped couch. Her room was all the way at the end of the hallway, her door adorned with k-pop artists and the periodic table, the weirdest combination of all time.

   I knocked on the door three times like I always do. You know, those three knocks are like the most perfect balance in my life. If you knock to much they won't answer, if you don't knock to little... well the person might not here you. So for me, three is the perfect balance between the two. Yes, I just had a political discussion about knocking on a door, that pretty much just summed up my whole life.

   Maya opened the door tentatively to see who it was and then widened it once she saw it was me. "Oh hello Nora," she gestured for me to enter.

   It's has been a few months since I've been in Maya's room, and she's repainted... again. This time it was a minty green with twinkling fairy lights lining the room. Much more girly from that navy blue black themed room she had last time.

   "So," she said, sitting down in front of her chemistry set, "What brings you upstairs?"

   I opened my mouth and then closed it again, surprised that she wasn't screaming down the house for me to get out. "I was coming to apologize for what I said yesterday, I-"

  Maya cut me off, "What? You didn't say anything yesterday that you should apologize for?"

   I stared at her in bewilderment, "Yeah I did, the "Oh I don't need a ride" thing?"

   Maya stared at me confused, and then burst out laughing when she realized what I meant. "Oh Nora, I wouldn't be mad at you for some silly thing like that."

   "You wouldn't?"

   "Yeah, you silly mongoose, you say stupid things like that all the time, it's not your fault you mean to say stuff like that." Maya waved her hand at me to show me it was fine.

   "Then why did you leave?" I asked as I grabbed one of her cat pillows, and hugged it close to my chest.

   She rolled her eyes, "I had homework, and my mom needed help with this stupid thing she needed for work, and you know I'm good at being dramatic and a-"

   It was my turn to cut her off, "Okay, okay I get the picture, but there's another reason I'm here." I told her, and then whipped out my phone and showed her the pictures.

   Her eyes widened as she saw the pictures, "Great Scott! What happened?"

   I tossed my phone on the bed, and reached into my bag to pull out the samples, "Murder on Forbes Avenue."

   She scowled as I handed her the evidence, "You know someone has died, right?"

   I shrugged, "Yes, and more will if we don't get this solved, we have a murderer on the loose." I grabbed the folder that Daniels gave me, and showed it to Maya.

   ''Dear god, you're going to have a field day," she smiled and then groaned.

   "Yes I am," I said as I rub my hands together evilly, "I can't do it without you though," Gesturing to the various forensic science equipment around the room.

   "Alright I'll try my best, Can't tell mom though, she'd kill us if she found out, and I have schoolwork to do, but I'll give it a shot."

   "Thanks," I tapped her twice on the shoulder, (my form of affection,) and left the room.

  As I waved to Chastity, and left the apartment, I thought to myself, is this really a good idea? Is it worth all of this work for just a job? Is it worth my only friendship?

   I ran down the stairs, to my ever darkened house, and picked Eve off the ground. "As long as stay myself, everything will be okay right?" I asked her and she let out a short bark in response.

Lies.