nine

The amount of days until the         ceremony.
The amount of text messages I had.
The amount of minutes I had to
get to school on time.

You'd think that with the ceremony looming like a bad storm, the schools would go easier on us.
But no, they were even more strict than usually. Which is why when I woke up late, I had rushed around to complete my daily routine in less than twenty minutes. I had completed this task successfully with negative three minutes to spare.
I left my room with all of my necessities and waved goodbye to my half-asleep mother. The infamous "blue jay" was waiting for me on the side of the road. Nobody knew why Jeremiah had chosen the truck with the most obnoxious blue color plastered to the vehicle. Inside the truck was Dylan, Haileigh, and Jeremiah.
"Get in, we have to be at school in nine minutes!" Dylan shouted at me from the rear end of the car. I stepped into the hideous truck and took my reserved spot next to Dylan.
The next minutes in the car were noisy and musical. Haileigh was playing her instrumental music and asking which to use for her upcoming dance competition. I think she was in denial. We all knew that she wouldn't be able to compete in it unless that's what they choose for her. Nonetheless, we vocalized our opinions and concerns.
With two minutes to spare, the Blue Jay pulled into our school lot. We had barely parked and the four of us ran towards our homeroom classes. I said my goodbyes to the others and went into my homeroom class. I kept my head down as I walked to my seat in the far corner, away from everyone. I sat and waited for the bell. This was how it went everyday. Until Lunch.
Lunch Time rolled around quicker than I had anticipated. That's how these days went by. Too fast.
I sat down at a table with Lynn. She was the only one I had the same lunch hour with. Usually during lunch, Lynn and I had our serious conversations about anything and everything. Today was, fortunately, no different.
"Do you really think that they'll split us all up?" Lynn asked, right as I sat down.
"I don't know. They could," I twirled a French fry around between my thumb and index finger. "I've never been to a ceremony other than Hannah's. She kept all her friends but some people lost all of theirs." I said remorsefully.
"Well.. thanks Forrest. That gives me a ton of hope." Sarcasm was one of Lynn's strongholds.
"Okay. This may sound stupid, but I really am scared. And sad. I don't want to lose any of you and we're already going to lose Aidan, Jason, Sophia, and the triplets because it's not their ceremony. Plus, what if I don't like what they choose? I'm stuck with it for life. Those changes are permanent." This was only half of it, I was sure I was going to get split up from my friends. I was just so different from them, I would get sent to a different sector of the city. The hardest part for me was the fact that I was probably going to lose the best person I've ever known, Dylan.
It maybe cliche but Dylan really was the one person I've ever trusted and loved. But not in the romantic way, I just loved Dylan because he made me happy and tried to understand me. In the worst parts of my life, he held me up. He was my anchor. But I don't think they'll care about that, they don't pay attention to those things.
"Hannah was smart," I said after a moment. "She chose her friends based on what they had in common. Talents and goals."
"Dang. I wish I would've done that!" Lynn spoke with a laugh, her mouth still filled with half chewed food.
"I don't regret not doing that though. Hannah said I would, but I don't. I like our people. I love our people."
"Me too. Know who I'm gonna miss most? The non-seniors, I mean."
"No. Who?"
"Probably Aidan. I'm really gonna miss that kid."
"Me too. I'm gonna miss all of you."
"All of us? Come on, I mean they have to take into account the relationships we've made and.... I'm gonna miss you too, Forrest."
We both had tears in our eyes.