The Vampire Secret-prologue and chapter 1

Prologue

One Halloween night, a baby girl was born. This girl was put on this earth for one purpose; to save us. This girl was born as a Vampire Goddess, and as one of the most important yet lost prophecies in Vampire kind has told us, her life and soul are here to protect us from the true depths of evil. 

Unfortunately for you, a spell has been cast on this very book and has put you in danger. You must read this tale in order to save the lives of you and your loved ones. This tale will also hand over some of the Goddess’s powers to help you stop the evil lurking around you, hiding in the shadows, getting ready to kill you. Best wishes, brave child. 

Chapter 1 

Hey. My name’s Taiga. Taiga Paige. I’m 14 years old. I live in a condo in Manhattan, New York.  I’m also your regular girl, I guess. I have problems with puberty and boys. I get loads of never-ending homework almost all the time and get in trouble with teachers and my parents even more. I just have one little secret; I’m your Vampire Goddess. Yep, that’s me, the extremely inexperienced teenager. Oh well, I guess I’m just gonna have to live with being a blood-sucking freak. Sigh. Anyway, on with the story.

It was the afternoon of the first day of summer vacation and I was packing for a school trip all around the world. Apparently, it’s required that all to-be ninth graders to go and I loved that! Thank God it was required to go because my Mom never would’ve let me go otherwise. Mom and Dad were helping me pack for the trip. They were giving each other strange looks as I was telling them how I couldn’t wait until they dropped me off of the airport this evening. When I was done talking, they gave each other one last look before Dad said, “Taiga, we kinda need to tell you something.”

For a second, I thought he was gonna say I couldn’t go on this trip. That would’ve been the least of my problems. 

Mom slowly walked up to me and asked, “Honey, what if we told you something that you would never believe?”

I didn’t really know how to answer that. If it was something I wouldn’t believe, then I wouldn’t believe it. But if my parents are telling me something like that…

“That depends. What do you mean by that,” I answered. 

Mom pressed her lips together and looked down at her feet. I could tell she didn’t know what to say next and was probably weighing her options. Dad was just standing near the foot of my bed and being so serious it freaked me out. There was dead silence for so long I wanted to break something just to make some noise. 

Finally Dad decided that either Mom was never gonna talk of she might start to cry because he said, “Well…what if we said you were a vampire?”

Ha! They had to be kidding. There’s no such thing as vampires. There just characters in stories people keep writing about. They’re probably just yanking my chain or whatever, right? Not even close. 

“You were born one, but we didn’t want to tell you until we thought you could handle it,” Mom said quietly. I knew they weren’t lying because they never lie. Ever.  And besides, they looked as serious as hell. But that’s not possible. Vampires aren’t real. Or could they?

“Wait a minute. Don’t vampires need blood to survive? Last time I checked I never got any blood,” I said torn. I seriously had no idea what to believe at this point.

Mom looked like she was gonna fall to the ground and burst into tears right after I said that. “We got it for you”, she said quietly. 

My eyes widened. How could they have gotten it? I forgot about logic and everything I’ve ever really known at that moment. My parents would never lie. They were telling the truth. I had a major headache all of a sudden. 

There was that absolute silence again that drove me insane, which I hoped I was. Wait a minute; this could still be a prank. Yeah, just a harmless little prank.

Well, that kind of thinking just proved how big of an idiot I am. My parents wouldn’t go this far with a prank.

 “So let me get this straight. I’m a vampire and you’ve kept this a secret form me until now. Is that it,” I asked. 

They nodded. I couldn’t believe this. I’m a vampire. The thing everyone’s afraid of. A creature of the night. A monster. A blood-sucking freak. I could feel my face getting hot and tears stinging the back of my eyes (Just so you know, I don’t usually act like that. I’m not sure what happened). I just wanted to get away from here. As far as I was concerned, the less I knew the better. But of course I kept asking questions. 

“How come I don’t get burned by the sun? How can I drink water? Where are my fangs? Why can I be seen in pictures and mirrors? Why is it that-“

“Taiga, I don’t think we can answer any of that. Actually, your mother and I have been trying to answer that for years now. You can find out in here though,” said Dad. He handed me a big silver book. In the middle of the cover was a thick black line with a red stone that looked like a cat’s eye when it’s narrowed. I had a strange feeling about that stone; it looked like it was watching me. Then again, I had a strange feeling about everything now. Then Mom handed me a necklace with a long chain. Just my luck, the chain was silver and that creepy red stone on that book was the charm on it. I wasn’t exactly sure why, but I put it on. 

I tried to open the book but it was locked, and I didn’t have a key.

“How do I open it,” I asked. 

“I thought you knew,” Mom said. Then even more of that annoying silence. 

Finally I spoke. “Does anyone else know about this?”

“Yes, Shane and Dylan do,” Mom and Dad said together, as if the practiced telling me this. 

Oh great. They decided to tell my brothers this but not me. I mean, I know why the told Shane-him being the older brother and all-but why tell Dylan? He’s like, 11. It’s not fair and it’s not over either. 

“Oh, look at the time! We have to get going,” Mom said sounding relived that this conversation was over.

Yes! I’m going I’m going I’m going! This is gonna be the best trip of my life! I quickly grabbed my bags, said good-bye to my brothers, and I was off. Even though I was excited for the trip the only thought I had all the way to the airport was I’m a freakin’ vampire.