The Vampire Secret-Chapter 3

Chapter 3

When we got on the plane, the chaperones were separated from us kids. They were put in the front of the plane, and we were put in the back. At least this is a private plane so we aren’t all the way in the back I thought. I was pretty sure we were going to Mexico. That’s awesome because I’ve always wanted to go to Mexico-I’ve never been there before. Jason, Marisol, and Logan got seats next to and near mine. Jason sat in the seat next to mine, and Marisol and Logan sat in the seats behind us. They stopped mentioning my necklace and book every five seconds because they got the hints I was dropping them that I was getting uncomfortable. We talked, laughed, and joked around like usual until everyone went to sleep. I stayed up, though-I always do, no matter where I am.

It was 2 A.M. and I was sitting on my seat completely bored out of my mind. I looked out the window; it was completely dark except for the light emanating from the full moon. I’ve always loved the full moon. Not only is it pretty, but it also makes me feel safe. 

I then looked down at my necklace and sighed. I grabbed it and stared into it. It glowed a soft, dark red glow and I felt a shock of electricity flow through me. I thought you’d know how to open it echoed my Mom’s voice in my head. I rolled my eyes and looked out the window, necklace still in hand. How am I supposed to know how to open that stupid book? I didn’t even know I was a vampire I thought. 

I felt that same electricity flow through me and I jerked my head to the pocket of the seat in front of me. The stone on the book glowed the same way as the necklace, only brighter. I took it out and covered it with my hand to avoid waking the others. 

I knew what would happen if or when they woke up. They would obviously notice the glowing of my book and ask me a zillion annoying questions. They would be all “Taiga, why’s your book glowing,” or “Taiga, does what’s happening now have to do with your secret,” or maybe even “Taiga, can I see what’s inside that thing?” That last one would seriously leave me without a decent lie to tell. 

Suddenly my necklace started to glow again. Oh great. Now this damn thing’s glowing, too! I grabbed the stupid charm and squeezed it tightly. The glowing of both things quickly dimmed and then stopped. I felt an even stronger electricity than I’ve ever felt before quickly flow through me as I heard a small whoosh come from my book.  I lifted my hand and the book opened a little. How’d I open that?

I lifted the cover and blankly stared at the first page. It was just a jumble of random written letters all over the pages. Who was the idiot who wrote this? This isn’t even legible. What’s this ever gonna prove? Oh, I get it. This probably really is just a prank, and I fell for it like the idiot I am. 

 I was about to chuck that stupid thing at someone’s head when an unbearable pain surged through my arm. I bit my lip so I wouldn’t scream and returned my arm to my side. The book fell on my lap, its creepy stone glowing blood red. I put my hand over it and it burned me. Stupid damn book I muttered as I quickly pushed the book to the ground. It opened to one of the pages in the beginning and then the pages flipped on its own until it stopped somewhere in the middle. 

That was just the weirdest thing I ever saw, but what was even weirder was the fact that I just realized I made a lot of noise but no one woke up. I looked around. Jason was smiling in his sleep. I couldn’t see anyone else in the extremely dim light cast by the moon. I looked at him again. The moonlight made his skin glow. His head rested on his hand, as if he was in Social Studies listening to the teacher run his or mouth about some stupid war while trying his best to stay awake. My heart swelled up; he looked so cute in his sleep. 

I shook myself. Focus on the problem, stupid. The damn book, remember?  Without hesitation I picked up the book, ready to feel any kind of pain.  Surprisingly, nothing happened. Confused, I looked at the page the book opened itself to. That page also had gibberish written all over it. I groaned. I was seriously annoyed now. I squinted at the page, trying to make sense out of it. Was it in code? How could I crack it?