chapter nine | A Non-Kidnapping

"What are you doing here?" Brenna demanded. "Couldn't steal enough from my father, so now you're getting more here?"

The thief, Elidor, she recalled, chuckled. "An interesting thought, but no. Not today, Princess. I'm not here from some treasure. I'm here for you."

She froze. If her room wasn't so high, she'd jump out the window to escape. She couldn't very well try to escape through the one door that was blocked off. She was trapped. "I'd rather not."

"It's either come with me or deal with the other thieves currently waiting out in the festivities outside."

"What do you mean?"

"The thieves I live with answer to a leader," he explained. "He prefers to call himself a king, but that's more of a self-given title than anything. He wasn't happy to learn that I'd had you that night and just left you safe and sound at home."

Brenna frowned. "So, you've come to take me to him."

"The others have."

"But not you?"

"Not me."

Brenna studied him, unsure of his motives. "Why? Why would you go against them? Why take me for yourself?"

He shrugged. "Maybe I don't like dealing with kidnappings."

"Isn't that what this is?"

A chuckle. "Technically, no. I'd prefer for you to come willingly."

She crossed her arms. "For how long?"

"Long enough for the danger to pass. Besides, I could use a traveling companion. I still have an orb to deliver."

"You didn't give it to your thief king?"

"He has no clue about it. That's why my friend stole the other treasures, so the trip wasn't a total loss to him. He's never fond of his followers coming back empty handed. You only learn that lesson once."

"You know, you're awfully considerate for a thief," Brenna remarked.

Elidor smirked. "A terrible flaw, I know. I've been made aware of it."

It was an interesting story, but Brenna still wanted to be clear on something. "So, just so we're clear," she started, "this isn't a kidnapping, but a..."

"A request for a traveling companion."

"It seems like a lot of trouble to risk your life, breaking into another castle just to get me to travel with you so your thieving friends don't get to me."

"It would be a lot more trouble if you refused," he said.

"If I do agree to go with you, and I'm not saying I am right now," Brenna said. "How do I know you aren't going to just hand me over to your other thieves, or keep me for your own ransom?"

Elidor stepped forward, then stopped when Brenna stumbled away. "It's okay, I'm just going to show you something." He went over to the window, keeping to the side as if trying to keep away from being seen. He nodded. "Uh-huh. There they are." He motioned for her to come over.

Brenna went next to him and looked to where he was pointing. There at the edge of the crowd was a group of four men and a woman. They clearly weren't concerned over enjoying themselves with the festivities. They discussed amongst themselves, occasionally pointing up to Brenna's window. She shrunk back.