You'll be okay(phan) - Chapter 1

Warnings: Depression, mentions of suicide and self-harm.

A/N: Okay chaptered phanfic here we go, if there’s anything I can improve on while writing this please let me know. Thanks if you give this a read!

Dan’s POV

I didn’t want to go. I didn’t need to go.

Well of course these were all lies I was telling myself, but to have to be locked up with a bunch of lunatics? Not exactly what I wanted.

I was sitting in the car with my mum, stubbornly ignoring her constant attempts to talk to me. I couldn’t believe that she’d forced me to go to a fucking mental hospital. I knew that she was worried about me and that truthfully I was a danger to myself, but I couldn’t believe that it had ever gotten this bad. I didn’t really have the energy to retaliate anyway.

The hospital loomed up into view all too soon and before I knew it we were getting out of the car. I dragged my feet as we approached the door like a pig would to slaughter.

When we walked into the building there was a certain smell that lingered. It wasn’t unpleasant, but it was certainly new, almost like a clean hospital smell mixed with a homely scent. My mum gave me a comforting smile but I still hadn’t forgiven her for sending me to the place, so I disregarded the gesture.

A kind lady stood behind the desk, flashing an almost sympathetic smile in my direction. I simply returned it to be polite.

Once my mum and the lady had finished talking she turned to me to say goodbye.

‘Promise you’ll try, okay Daniel? Please?’ Her eyes begged, and I knew that she only wanted the best for me. I finally looked her in the eyes.

‘You swear? You’ll come back after a month?’

‘Of course.’

With that she bent down and hugged me, then walked towards the car. I watched as she drove off, feeling a sense of dread settle in my stomach.

Soon I felt someone’s presence near me and turned around to see the lady from the desk standing next to a man. He was fairly tall with blond hair and looked like he was in his mid thirties.

‘So, you’re Daniel?’ He smiled down at me.

‘Yeah, I prefer Dan though,’ I replied looking at my feet.

‘Dan it is. I’m Jack,’ he said, sticking out his hand for me. I shook it, guessing that he was one of the counsellors. Great.

‘How about I show you round?’ I nodded, wishing for nothing else than to be home and away from this place. It was too late for that now however, so I trailed after Jack.