chapter one

The bustling platform was full of Hogwarts students, trunks dragging loudly behind them, and the humming engine provided a backdrop for thousands of conversations. Parents clung to their children as they prepared to send them to the school left in ruins only a few months ago. Others reunited with their housemates, huddling close as they eyed the train that would carry them to the familiar castle tainted with memories of war and fallen friends.

I pushed through the crowd and stepped onto the train, my mind swirling as I searched for my two best friends. I scanned over the heads of first year and returning students, peering into compartments until a sudden collision knocked me off balance.

A strong hand gripped my waist, the other grabbing hold of my wrist, preventing my fall, and I found myself staring into the familiar icy gaze of Draco Malfoy. Panic seized me as I noticed the swollen black tattoo raised from the skin with agitated scratches, remnants of his dark past. Jerking away from his touch, I stumbled backward, my heart racing.

"Mind your step, Granger," Malfoy muttered, his tone gruff as he adjusted his sleeve to conceal the mark of his old master. I scrambled to find an escape, my hands trembling, but new students blocked my path, leaving me no choice but to face him. His thoughtful gaze followed me as I pressed against the wall, struggling to steady my breathing.

Suddenly, Harry's arrival broke the tension, and Draco stepped aside, allowing my friend to approach. "Alright 'Mione? Ron's looking for you," Harry greeted me with a warm smile and a bone-crushing hug before turning his attention to the Slytherin, engaging in conversation as I quietly excused myself, continuing my search for the Weasley siblings.

The train ride was a warm, welcome memory. I settled quietly between Harry and Ron, reminiscing about my previous years within the castle, my mind far from the loud compartment. Ron had an awkward arm thrown behind my shoulder, I leaned into the reassuring touch, grateful for the silent support he offered. Reflecting on the months spent away from Hogwarts, I recalled my journey to Australia to restore my parents' memories, which meant limited communication with Ron, confined to letters exchanged between us.

As the train journeyed through the Scottish Highlands, our silence spoke volumes, each of us lost in our own thoughts. Every now and then I would catch Ron's eye and then look away awkwardly, struggling to voice my thoughts. He and Harry flanked me as we disembarked from the thestral drawn carriage and entered the Great Hall. A sombre atmosphere enveloped us as we took our seats, the absence of our fallen friends palpable. I was one of the few that didn't assist in rebuilding; it looked nothing like I had last seen it. There was no damage or dead bodies, no crying families; it was just like my first year in the castle. Headmistress McGonagall charmed the candles to float, and the ceiling mirrored the night sky.

Harry and I sat side-by-side. There was almost double the number of first years sorted into Gryffindor; every single one had the same look of pure joy on their faces. The same could not be said for Slytherin's. When sorted into the house, most of them froze and stumbled towards the table, shooting fearful glances around the hall.

"Attention, please," Professor McGonagall called, ceasing conversation.

"Welcome back to Hogwarts. This year will be different; we will no longer isolate each other, and houses will be united and work together. Last year was especially difficult, and I commemorate each of you for returning in such high spirits. I wish you all a spectacular year, and may it be filled with joy and laughter. I ask all the 7th years to stay back after the meal."

The hall erupted in chatter, friends retelling tales of their summer and months away with their families. Ginny's voice rang loud as she detailed the gruelling regime Oliver Wood, the old Gryffindor Quidditch captain, now a player in Puddlemere United had her doing as she spent the summer training with them.

Ron as usual ate like it was the first meal in months, his plate stacked high with a chicken wing in each hand. Neville had grown since I had last seen him, his confidence bolstered since his heroism in the battle.

Once all the younger students had finished their meals and the prefects had led them out of the Great Hall, McGonagall stood up with a sad frown. Harry's and my heads immediately turned to look at each other, worried.

"I have tried to stop this, but it is not in my power." She paused and took a deep breath."What could be so bad?" I whispered to nobody in particular.

"The Wizengamot has passed a decree as of an hour ago. This decree has been titled the Repopulation Act." She paused, breathing deeply. "All unwed witches and wizards between the ages of 17 and 25 must be present at the Ministry of Magic tomorrow night to be sorted into couples. Couples are expected to marry by December 31st and produce a child within three years."

There was a pause. Complete silence. Then there was absolute chaos.

Students lunged out of their seats, knocking over plates and dishes, and shouting at the headmistress. Two Hufflepuff girls tried to storm out of the hall, shaking the locked door to try and escape. Harry and I held hands tightly under the table and Ron and I stared at each other."This has been put in place due to population loss. I am sorry. Your professors and I have granted you a day off to prepare yourselves and expect you in the Great Hall for dinner, where you will all be taken to the Ministry."

"Merlin," I whispered, sitting in shock. I looked up, and my eyes caught the Slytherin table. Pansy Parkinson sat silently beside Blaise Zabini. I shifted my gaze to see Malfoy staring right back at me; his grey eyes were dull, almost lifeless.

"I have been informed that failure to attend, will not be tolerated, with the possibility of imprisonment in Azkaban."

"You're telling me we fought a war to get Death Eaters in Azkaban, just for us to be thrown in for this," Harry grimaced.

"It's corrupt," I replied.

As chaos erupted around us, I felt a sense of numbness settle over me, the enormity of the decree sinking in with each passing moment. Turning to Harry and Ron, I found solace in their familiar faces, the unspoken bond between us a source of strength in the face of uncertainty."On a higher note," Professor McGonagall paused, allowing students to settle. "You will also have a ball, similar to the Yule ball, but just for 7th years. You are all excused." Nobody moved, paralysed by shock, stray tears slipping down the cheeks of many students.

"You can't do this," Harry cried to McGonagall, begging her to stop. She placed a hand on his shoulder and spoke to him quietly, and he stood there for a moment before turning around and walking out of the hall with his head hanging low. Ron got up and followed behind him, and a few other students began trailing out in small groups.

"May I please see Miss Weasley, Miss Patil, and Miss Granger for a moment?" McGonagall called just as I was rising from my spot.

I walked up to her calmly, side-by-side with the other girls. Parvati wiped the tears off her face while Ginny tried to soothe her, linking their arms.

"Ladies. I understand this is stressful news, but I believe it will be for the best. This ball will bring some light, and I know I can count on you to help me. I need you to work together to pull it off."When nobody replied, I choked out thanks and pushed for them to follow me out. At first, Parvati stood her ground, planting her feet and staring at the headmistress in horror. It was only after Ginny and I practically pushed her that she stepped away, tears streaming down her cheeks and huffing loudly.

We didn't speak on the way back to the common room or as we climbed into beds in our shared dormitory. Harry and Ron sat by the fireplace whispering closely, both offering a warm smile as we walked in but leaving us to retire to our dorm.

Ginny and I stared blankly at one another from across the room. Eventually, she climbed into my bed and held me close, her familiar embrace of friendship offering us both comfort until we succumbed to sleep.