Chapter 5: A Battle of Two Flames

The elves led the company through the Woodland Realm.  They were in a cavern that had pillars made of treeroots supporting it, forming narrow bridges and paths.  When they walked passed a throne, where King Thranduil sat, Thorin glared at him.  There was anger and hatred in his dark eyes as the company was ushered away. 

  Reyna was shoved into a cell next to Fili's and Thorin was taken off, she assumed to see the king.  Soon after the door of her cell closed, she heard the one next to her swing open.  She heard Kili say something cheeky and perverted (real shock there) and Tauriel replying.  She did not want to listen to that, she had to keep it together.  If Thorin failed, it would be up to her.  And she could not do much.  A while later, Thorin was brought back and shoved into the cell diagonal  from Reyna.  Balin sat up, eager for an update on the situation.

"Did he offer you a deal?" he asked.  Thorin nodded, wearing a grim and angry expression.

"He did.  I told him he could go 'Ish kakhfe ai'd dur rugnu!'- him and all his kin." he said, hatred burning in his words.  Reyna's eyes widened at the sound of this curse as a guard unlocked her cell.  Let's say that what Thorin said was very offensives and leave it at that.  As the elf guard led her off, Reyna heard Balin speak up.

"Well, that's it, then.  A deal was our only hope." he said, his tone resigned.

"Not our only hope." Thorin replied, watching as Reyna was led off.

  Reyna approached the platform where Thranduil had his back turned on her.  The gaurd left and the elf king heard the Bender approaching.

"Well, isn't it Reyna Stormbringer, the Lionheart of Ibilissa.  Tell me, how did you find yourself in the company of incompetent dwarves?" Thranduil asked, turning to face her.  Reyna bristled at the insult to her friends.  She did not hate Mirkwood elves, just the actions of their leader.

"They are my friends.  I would not expect you to understand friendship, King Thranduil." she replied, her tone venomous.  Thranduil was angered by Reyna's words but forced himself to remain calm.  He needed her, if only as a tool to get what he wanted.   Legolas was sitting, hidden on a rafter above them.  He usually dare not eavesdrop, but he wanted to learn more about this strange Bender.

"Well, I don't suppose that you could get your friend, Thorin, to agree to the deal I offered him?" he said coldly.  Reyna shook her head.

"I have no power or influence over Thorin.  He does as he pleases.  And yet you still keep me here as a prisoner, despite the consequences." Reyna responded.  Thranduil ignored Reyna's last sentence.  He was fully aware that he was risking war with Ibilissa if they found out that their Lionheart had been imprisoned.  If they found out.

"I don't see why he does not just cooperate.  It would be much... simpler if he did." Thranduil said.  Reyna's blue eyes sparked dangerously.

"Maybe because you left his people to die." she spat angrily.  Legolas watched with round eyes as his father rounded on the Bender, rage in his eyes.  This was a battle of two flames.  Both burned brightly and were extremely dangerous when fueled.  And they might just destroy everything in their wake.

"I would not endanger the lives of my people for dwarves!  What would you have done, in my place?!" Thranduil retorted.  He was no more than a few inches from Reyna and they stood nose to nose, glaring at each other.  It was never a good idea to ask a Bender what she would have done.   You wouldn't have liked the answer.

"I would have died!  I would have died before I saw innocent people hurt!  Women, children, all dead, beacause you didn't help them!" Reyna shouted back.