Chapter one.

It started with the horse chase. Gennavie was trying to immigrate under the docks to Paris. She was traveling with her fellow gypsies, but when they stepped foot off the boat into the snow, it turned out to be a trap. Soldiers stepped out in every direction, for gypsies are not permitted in France. The street dancers were face to face with the soldier's arrows and swords. Their fear rose and rose as the snow continued to fall freely. What were they to do? They had to escape before Jacques arrived..

Jacques was the ruler of this town. He over saw everything: Executions, arrests, and festivities. He was the most brutal man in all of Paris, but the gypsies thought they could outsmart him.
Jacques came into view on his Clydesdale and with his dark clothing and evil eyes, stared the four gypsies down with his terrifying gaze. They knew they were done.
The gypsies were being arrested when Jacques ordered them to be brought to the court to be tried when a soldier saw Gennavie was carrying something.. Her baby.. Jacques assumed stolen goods. "Take them from her."
She ran. Gennavie took off with her precious bundle held tightly in her arms while Jacques kept a tight pursuit behind her. She ran through the alley way and up the steps to try and get away. They continued to follow her and got so close that she could feel the horse's breath on her neck. She managed to jump the gate, which delayed the chase thankfully buying her time.
She ran to the great church, begging for sanctuary. She could not let her baby girl die. Yet she turned around and saw Jacques nearing on his gigantic stallion. She began to run again, but he caught up. He grabbed her baby and kicked her to the ground, killing her instantly. Her baby, unnamed because of her death, began to cry, startling The Judge. He opened her blanket and gasped. The baby was just too beautiful to know what to do with. He didn't want anybody to see her, for the community wouldn't be able to handle a baby like this. Her skin was a perfect caramel, the curly black hair fell softly onto her forehead, her eyes were chocolate orbs full of stars. Her could barely handle looking at her without ocean tides rolling and crashing in his eyes. He needed to destroy her.
He walked over to the well, on the verge of crying, about to drop the angelic child when..
"Stop!" The priest yelled at Jacques when he saw what he was to do.
"I'm ridding the world of a much too powerful child. It must be disposed of."
"Look at the innocent blood you've spilt on our church steps. Have you no shame?"
"I'm guiltless. She ran and I pursued. My conscience is clear."
"You can lie all you want, Sir, but you can never run or hide what you've done from the eyes of God. "
Jacques began to think, and he knew of the greater power that watched the terrible deed he committed. He felt fear for the first time. The overwhelmingly strong feeling of guilt over took him.
"What should I do.? I can't bring her back.."
"Care for the child," said the priest. "And raise it as yours. It's the least you can do."
"But how? I have the busiest job and.. Never mind. I'll do it. But it live with you in the church. Kept away. Always. No one must see it."
"Why?" Asked the priest.
"Because of it's beauty. I'm sure it'll be of use to us one day."

Jacques gave the child a blissful name. A name that means most beautiful: Elliana. This was contradictory because Jacques was a vile human being. Could this possibly change him?
Regardless, Elliana maintained her stay in the bell tower of the church; ringing the bells everyday. She was to stay away for fear of exposure. She was just too beautiful to be seen. But oh she longed to be out there with society...