That first day

Today is the best day ever! It is the first day of the start of sophomore year at Rosewood High in Rosewood, Pennsylvania. My name is Rachel and ever since my friends and I drifted apart due to the disappearance of our beloved group leader, Brianna, I have only been focusing on my school work and trying to get into a good college, even if it is three years away.

I like to study and learn, but I really miss my friends and Brianna. She went missing last Halloween, and they still haven't found her or her body yet.

It was the night of Halloween and Brianna, Natalie, Ashley, Layla, and I all decided to stay in, instead of trick-or-treating, like we have been doing together since the second grade. We just had a little party of our own, and did what any other group of fourteen year old girls would do on Halloween; we watched a scary movie and told each other all of our deepest, darkest secrets.

Natalie, Ashley, and Layla seemed a little tired after the movie, so they just fell asleep, right there, on the couch in my living room. Brianna and I weren't tired at all, so we stayed up even longer, talking. After that, the whole rest of the night was a blur. The next thing I remember hearing was screaming, and it definitely sounded like Brianna. I rushed out to look for her, but that was the last I heard of her until today.

Laying on my front porch today was a flyer asking if anyone had seen her since you know, that day. I stared at it with mixed emotions and thoughts rushing through my head all at once.

Is she dead? Is she still missing? Where is she and why haven't the police found her yet? Too many questions to count, and I was starting to get a headache from just looking at that single piece of paper labeled "STILL MISSING". I just can't take this anymore. Why can't this all just be a dream, a horrible, horrible dream? I just had to face the facts, it wasn't a dream. This is my new reality.

Walking to school today, I saw a few familiar faces that I have known my entire life, but they just seemed like strangers to me. Did they change a lot during summer vacation or did I? The only faces that seemed real were the ones of my old friends.

The first old friend that I had the pleasure of bumping into was Layla, whom I haven't seen since you know who, went missing. We had a very awkward conversation in homeroom that day. We just could not get off the topic of Brianna. Our conversation consisted of the following questions: How do you think Bri is doing on her own? Do you think Bri is alive? Do you miss Bri as much as I do? The next thing I know, we both just start flooding with tears down our faces.

It's a good thing that the next person we saw was Natalie. She always knew how to calm us down in public without embarrassing all of us in front of people that we may end up dating in the future. Now three of the four non-missing girls were finally back together, so now we can go back to where we left off in November of 2012.

As for Ashley, she had been spending way too much time at the mall with her new bestie, Frances, to even bother with us. She says that she is too popular for us this year, but I don't believe that. I think that just the fact that we could possibly still be friends brought back horrible memories of that night. When will this nightmare end?