The Letter - Adele's monologue

10, Harrington Lane,

The Lodge,

Cambridge.

You got me caught in all this mess, Corey Huseman. From the moment you entered the room in high school, flicking your brown, floppy hair all over the place, I knew you were going to be my friend. I walked over to you and we chatted. And laughed. And chatted even more. It was fantastic. I was a goner; I knew that I was going to be with you for a long time. And so we became best friends.

From that moment on, we stuck together like glue. We hung around at both of our houses - watching television, doing homework, anything we could do together. Then we began to split.

I guess you could blame it on your string of girlfriends. I swear that you dated everyone in that school. Everyone except me. I had to live with the pain of knowing that I couldn't have you.

One girl came along. Her name was Katy. She was a gorgeous girl (even I have to admit that). She was one of two people who hadn't fallen for you. So, of course, you had to have her. I never stopped you, thinking that it wouldn't get in the way of our friendship. I was wrong.

I wonder whether she looks at you the way I do. Does she look at you like you aren't just a friend but a soulmate? Does she get the rush when your cheeks brush when you hug? Does she try to understand you and your soul? Does she try to understand the way that you move? The way you walk in big strides to walk away from your worries? I didn't think she would. You only like her in a superficial way. And my heart breaks knowing that she could be holding you somewhere in this town.

Am I crazy? Or am I to protective? Maybe it's something else. I guess I developed a crush for you whilst you had your girlfirends but it was just that. It was only a crush. But is this more than a crush? Is it an obsession, a devotion? I hope not. You're my friend. I wouldn't want to be worshipping at your feet.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I find peace in solitude knowing if I had but just one kiss, the whole room would be glowing. Not just the room. We'd be glowing. We;d be glowing like bright stars in the night sky.

Again, I ask you, do you really think that she loves you? She doesn't. I can tell. She doesn't have the glow in her eyes when she looks at you. She doesn't chat to you much, and when she does it revolves around fashion. You have stopped walking with that stride in order to keep at the same pace as she totters in her stilettos. And I bet she never gets that rush when your cheeks brush. But I do.

I have to. That's about as much physical contact than I get with you.

Look at what I've written here. Can't you see the effort that I've put into this so I show my endless emotions as words? I hope you do. This is the one chance you have with me. It's been several years since we first met. Now we're going to university. Both of our universities are in London; we can make a relationship work. But I can't tell this to you face to face. I have to write it out. I don't know whether this will work.

All I ask is for a reply. That is all I want. I want to know how you feel. If you don't like this... I think our friendship is ruined. If you want to have a go, then just call. I'll wait one week for a reply. If not, then I wish that I'll never see you again.

You know my mobile number. Call me. I want to speak to you, not just have a cold, heartless text.

I hope to see you soon.

Adele Myers x