Quiet

I don’t have drapes or blinds or curtains. Therefore the sun woke me up. Rays of light shooting at me like bullets. One eye opened followed by the other. I sat up taking in my surroundings and I yanked the blanket off of me before firmly planting my feet on the floor and standing up. I kicked a few boxes out of my way before making my way to the bathroom where I took a quick piss, took a shower, and brushed my teeth. My naked body made its way back to my bedroom where I put on a clean pair of boxers.

I thought I’d go to the beach today. Yesterday I tried at all cost to avoid the beach. You know, I didn’t want to see tan babes in bikinis. Catch the sarcasm?

Its hot outside so I couldn’t exactly wear jeans so I put on khaki cargo shorts and a white V-neck t-shirt. I then had to choose between my normal boots or my worn out converse that I haven’t worn in year. Tough choice. Not really. I grabbed the converse and a pair of clean socks before sitting on my mattress and sliding them on. I didn’t tie them. I just tucked in the laces but I knew that would be a bad choice because from previous experience they would come peeking out begging to be put back in.

I made my way to the kitchen where I shoved my face into a bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Growing up my mom wouldn’t let me have cereal with sugar in it. It was always Cheerios. I remember one time, Lexy and I were studying at her house and I guess we lost track of time because I ended up sleeping there. Anyways, the next day when we woke up she greeted me with an oversized bowl of Fruity Pebbles. My mom doesn’t know.

Once I finished eating, I rinsed out my bowl and put it in the dishwasher along with the spoon. If you think I’m actually going to do the dishes then you’re funny.

I was an ant’s fingernail away from exiting the house when I remembered I needed my phone. So, I made my way back to my room where I dug around in every pocket of my pants that I wore yesterday looking for my phone. Harry you stupid, idiotic, moron! I forgot to charge my phone last night. Whatever. I plugged it in and I grabbed a pen from the box that said ‘stuff’ and made my way outside.

Before I went anywhere I stopped and looked at the house number and street I was on and wrote it down on my hand. I would write it on a piece of paper but people tend to lose pieces of paper but you never lose your arm. Now, I didn’t want to be the weirdo that carried a pen everywhere he went so I shoved it into my mail box.

My body floated towards the sounds of waves crashing onto the shore and children laughing. As I kid, I never went to the beach with my family. Mom was too busy and dad just didn’t want to. Simple as that. I only when with a friend. That was one time and I don’t even remember their name. Sorry.

When I felt the sand seeping through the holes on the insides of my converse I knew I was on the beach. The laughs got louder and so did the waves lapping onto shore. My feet were sinking into the sand with each step. Where I stood, the waves just barely touched the tip of my shoes. I took a couple steps back and sat down on the soft white sand.

To my left, there was a family. A mom, a dad, and two boys no more than two years apart. The dad had a camera in his hand taking pictures of the mom and one of the boys as they bury the other boy in the sand. They seem happy. They seem like a family.

I couldn’t stand to look at them any longer so I somehow managed to stand up admiring the intention my ass made into the sand. When I got to the side walk, I curled my toes in my shoes feeling the sand that has accumulated inside. I leaned onto the wooden rail and took them off shaking out a pile of sand. Correction; more like a mountain of sand.

There’s a pier nearby and I’ve been wanting to check out what they had over there but I never did because I was afraid of human interaction. I thought about maybe going at night but it’s all closed and there is a big iron gate at the entrance. Today I’m not afraid of human interaction. Today I’m going to go to the pier during the day time. Today I will not be scared.

It’s not very far from where I am now. So, once I put my shoes back on I made my way over to the pier. As I was walking I was trying to come up with an excuse not to.  What’s wrong me with me? I just said that I wasn’t going to be scared and now I’m finding an excuse not to go? Get your shit together Harry.

 I stood on front of where the iron gates would meet when they are closed and took a deep breath. Children and elders walked pass me as I made my way towards the center where a small store that contained bait and ice cream was located. I noticed a really sunburnt girl eyeing me and I felt uncomfortable. My hands made their way into my pockets and I gave her a small nod, just so I don’t seem rude. Maybe she wants you to rub Aloe Vera all over those sunburnt C cups Harry. Shut up, shut up, shut up.

When I walked inside, there was an old man with what seemed like his grandson buying fresh bait. Gross. The ice cream was on the other side of the store so I went that way to avoid the worms. Ice cream was always the reward. Harry got straight A’s; let’s get ice cream! Here, it seems like every child is running around with a cup or a cone of ice cream with rainbow sprinkles. I wonder what it feels like to have that kind of freedom.