7. Red Desert

"GET BACK HERE YOU BITCH" Bill shouted out to Eve as she kept running.

Behind the door was a dark corridor that led to a flight of stairs that went up. At the top of the stairs was a grey light that barely seeped its way through. It was just enough to see where she had to go.

Her bare feet skimmed over the cold concrete ground as she sprinted down the dark corridor and up the stairs into welcoming light. She could smell the slightest scent of fresh air behind the light's blockage. At the top of the stairs was a cellar door, the source of where the natural light was coming from that was right above her head. The source of where the lively air seeped in from. Eve wished she could just stop and breathe it in for just a minute.

But there was a psychopath coming after her in a blood fueled rage.

"You can't escape Eve" Bill called out. His once calm voice was now filled with ravenous hatred towards her. "Just come back so we can finish it here. I'LL FORGIVE YOU" he laughed maniacally.

She punched open the cellar door and jumped up to climb out of it.

A sudden wave of humidity hit her as soon as she got out of the red room. It was a warm dampness that stuck sluggishly along her bare skin. The air was heavy with moisture, but certainly was better than the dingy air in the room.

Eve was inside a flimsy wooden shack. It was about the size of a public bathroom with barely anything to cover up its weakness. It was made up entirely out of wood that was rotted to the core and thinning. Between each exposed crack was a ray of an orangish yellow light that poured its way through. The ground was covered in a coarse and rough dirt that was tracked with footsteps along its surface. Otherwise it was a plain cabin on the inside.

It certainly wasn't Los Angeles. It had to be somewhere down by the palm desert.

There was a sudden loud crack that ringed in her ears a moment after it happened. "Come here, EVE" Bill shouted out. He must've fired his gun. She had to get out of the place quickly to find somewhere to hide before Bill killed her.

She made a mad dash to the door and busted it open with her shoulder. It broke open into the spacious wasteland she hadn't recognized before.

There was a giant wall of rock that gradually sloped up into a flat wall, it was a mix of a brownish red that looked like rust and a clay orange. She arched her head up for a second to see it wasn't a mountain, but a plateau. Around the cabin was miles of curvy desert that wavered on as far as the eye could see. Cacti were scattered around and stood menacingly with their arms hanging out to the sides. Thin bushes covered everything in between.

The sun was halfway on its descent to the horizon as it left behind an orange and yellow streak.

'Arizona' Eve thought to herself. It was the only logical explanation as to what it was. There wasn't any plateaus in California like the ginormous one that stood in front of her view, let alone the unbearable heat. Her feet scolded in the flat blanket of dirt that must've been absorbing the sun all day. Little chunks of rock stabbed into them the longer she stood there.

Eve looked around quickly for any hiding spot she could take advantage of.

There was another gunshot that exploded from within the cabin that made her freeze up for a moment before running along the plateau.

"Oh come on Eve! Are we really going to play the running game? YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO RUN!" Bill laughed.

She realized soon afterwards that Bill wasn't lying. There wasn't anything to run to. No civilization, no phone, no potential weapon. But maybe there was a car somewhere around, a van maybe. How else could Bill and Michael make it out there with three people? It was her only shot.