Chapter One

The wind blows through Nyx's black hair, making her sneeze. After an hour she gives up on the driver and starts to walk. Who leaves someone at night? She asks herself.

Nyx decides to take a short cut, which means the alley. She clutches her gray coat to her chest as she walks. A group of people are surrounded by two boys fighting. A brown haired boy with cold green eyes and another boy with bleached hair and dull blue eyes.

"C'mon Ash!" a guy yells. The boy looks at him and gets punched in the face. He whispers profanity under his breath and knees the other boy in the stomach. The boy doesn't get up. A muscular guy goes into the crowd and drags the unconscious boy.

"Is there anyone else?" Ash asks furiously. After two minutes of silence he nods and walks out of the crowd.

How did he knocked him out if he didn't hurt him in the head? She asks herself. Out of curiosity she strides to the corner where he stands putting on a white tank. "How did you do that?" she asks.

"What? Oh! He had a lack of blood and I knocked the wind out of him. What are you," he looks up and down at her outfit, "doing here?"

"My driver didn't show up, so I'm walking." she says.

He sighs and thinks; it's dark out and she is a girl. I probably should walk her home. "Uh. Do you want me to walk you home?" he asks, hoping she will say no.

"Really? That would be very nice of you," After she says that he stands up and walks beside her.

"Hey guys, I'm goin' to walk her home!" he yells and the boys whistle and congratulate him.

They walk in silence. Not in an awkward silence. More like a comforting silence. "So, why do you fight?" Nyx asks.

"So I can pay my rent and for fun. I guess." he answers. She instantly feels guilty about all the things she complained about as a child. He notices her uneasiness. "Do you have any siblings?" he asks changing the subject.

"Two," she mutters and kicks a stone and it lands on somebody's lawn. "older brothers. Travis Aces and Scott Cheshire."

His eyes lit up and he stops her by putting his arms on her shoulders and says, "You are related to Travis Aces?" She nods. I should've noticed by her face structure and her green eyes with that little line of blue. He has those same eyes. He thinks. He takes his arms of of her and they continue walking.

She stops in front of a white mansion. "Well, this is my, uh, home." she states.

"Okay." he says and starts to walk off but she stops him.

"Do you have a place to stay tonight?"

"I was going to sneak into the shelter." he answers.

"You can stay here." she says pointing to the mansion.

He looks at her in disbelief. "Are y-you sure?" She nods and smiles.

"We have six extra bedrooms. No one will even know you're here." she says making him feel more comfortable. He nods and they walk inside.

Maria acknowledges Nyx's presence by nodding. She stops and lifts her head up. "How's Jack?" she asks.

"He is . . . d-dead. He's gone." Nyx hugs her in a comforting way. She says meaningless nothings to her and rubs her back. Jack died of cancer. Maria is twenty-two and Jack was twenty-three. He died a short but good life. He deserves to die in his sleep like did.

"Go sleep in my bed. I'll take one of the extras." Nyx says. Nyx has the best room in the house, and that's why she gave it up- for Maria, mostly. "I'll show you to one of the extras," Nyx stops. She can't remember his name at all.

"Ash. Yours is?" he says.

"Nyx. I was named after a goddess." she says and chuckles slightly, to herself. They walk up the long, swirled, white staircase. She took a right and pointed to a white door and opens it.

Travis walks by and his eyes lit up just like outside. "Hey sis. Who's this? You and bringing strays." he says and chuckles.

"This is Ash. He is a street fighter dude." Nyx says.

"Why were you over there?" he asks, concern lacing his voice. He nevers care about anyone except his sister. He hates Scott. They are only related through their Mom. He loves Nyx because she is caring and because they have the same Mom and Dad.

"The diver didn't show up so I took a quicker way." she says smiling.

"I love the way you fight, Sir." Ash says.

Travis snorts and says, "Oh really?"

"Yes! I look up to you! You're the best fighter on the streets!" he yells.

"You should go to bed, Ash. If you want to be as good as me you need to sleep." Travis says.

"Yes Sir!" he says and walks into the room and shuts it.

Nyx and Travis start walking towards another extra all the way down the hall. She asks him something that's been on her mind, "How's Scott?"

"I don't know and don't care. The last time I talked to him was at the Thanksgiving party." he remarks.

"Travis," she says in a warning way, "I understand that you don't like him. But he is still family and we should get to know him. He called me the other day and asked if we want to get to know each other. Give him a chance," She stops him and looks at him, "please."

"Fine. But if he says one thing that pisses me off I'm out." he says.

Nyx starts jumping up and down and is saying 'thank you' over and over, until he stops her. "You should go to bed. Tomorrow is Monday." he says. She sighs and opens the door that's next to her and walks in. She jumps on the bed and pulls the covers over her. The darkness takes over and she falls asleep.

Travis goes downstairs and puts on a button up coat. He opens the door and is welcomed with cold wind and falling snow.