The Good nurse.

• Dedicated to Good nurses

In her long career at Shore Blue Point Hospital in Blue Turkey city, Becky Martin has worked her way from her start as a nurse's assistant to a desk job in the critical care unit. As the unit's business associate, she's responsible for overseeing payroll, scheduling, supplies and an array of important behind-the-scenes details.

So what was she doing the other days away from her desk, covered in a sterile gown and gloves, holding hands and praying with a lonely patient?

Patients are your first priority and your first concern," says Becky...

That's the motivation for Becky and one of the keys to her longevity at Blue Point. Despite a career path that has taken her away from patients' bedsides, she holds tight to her conviction that it's all about the patients.

Becky believes that her job as a nurse is not just giving a pill and taking the blood pressure of her patients. She believes It's also sitting with them and listening. That means just as much to the patient.

It's an awareness borne of years of service, 46 years, to be exact. Becky was fresh from nearby Becon City High School when she first came to work at Blue Point in 1989. She's been there ever since.

With fulfilling work and friendly colleagues, she never saw a reason to leave.

The hospital was very different when Becky first began her career there. She recalls the small units, the absence of disposable supplies (they wouldn't become mainstream until years later.) The hospital reflected the small, hometown feel of Blue Point itself, she would say.

Since then, the hospital has grown tremendously to meet the needs of what is now a bustling shore resort. But even today, she still considers the patients and their families,as friends and neighbors.

Becky always said she had happy memories here at Blue Point. "What I'll remember most are the friends I have met - not only patients, but their families as well."She Never made that statement without including them as family and friends. Becky was the girl next door. Perfect in every way. Middle class family,loving parents, attended church and local and local functions.

Becky took pride in knowledge. Most folk thought she would be a career student never having married because she'd be to busy educating herself not just for her own benefit,of course to help others.

Becky's now 49. Her husband, a nurse himself, is retired and their two daughters are pursuing their own successful careers. But retirement isn't in her plans just yet. She still receives too much personal satisfaction caring for her community.

"At the end of the day, I can lay my head on that pillow and say, thank you Lord for another day. I have done all that I can do."