Part 4

With no context, Seung Gil sends a group message at 4am that lists only the name of a breakfast café in Seoul and the time "0800." Seven minutes later, it's followed by a "meet?" so grudging that its sourness comes across even in text. No doubt the almost-friendly addendum was Phichit's influence. Kk, see you then, Yuuri replies. Will P be there?

Seung Gil doesn't respond to that one. Yuuri guesses that that means no.

By the time he and Victor reach the restaurant, most of their friends have already gathered in a corner table: Celestino's on a flight back home, but there's Otabek, Yuri looking rumpled and half-asleep, Chris and JJ in very similar white button-up shirts. "You change," JJ is grousing when they approach, self-consciously smoothing his lapels. "You're the one who always carries around an extra shirt for some goddamn reason."

"One never knows when a situation might require a change of wardrobe." Christophe, clearly enjoying himself, takes a very leisurely sip from his mug and smiles up at Yuuri. "Ah, good morning, Yuuri. Who wore it better?"

JJ raises his sunglasses—which he's wearing indoors, yes—to flash him a winning wink.

"Uh," says Yuuri helplessly, "I really don't, um—I mean—"

"You change!" JJ barks, caving.

"Boys, boys. You're both gorgeous," Victor says, laughing. He pulls out Yuuri's chair before sitting down at the edge of the table, nodding toward the empty seat beside him. "Seung Gil wouldn't be so rude as to miss his own event, would he?"

"Who knows," says Yuri. "Guy's as friendly as a box of bees."

"Says you," says JJ.

Yuri sets his jaw. "Yeah, says me. Problem?"

"We'll give him ten more minutes," says Christophe, pouring everyone more coffee.

There's a loaded silence. Yuuri gets the distinct feeling that everyone is trying not to stare at him. He fiddles with his napkin, staring down at his lap. These are your friends, he reminds himself. No one here is thinking badly of you. He looks up and accidentally meets Yuri's gaze, and is surprised to find the eye contact calm, not inordinately curious. Yuri sticks out his tongue when he registers him. Yuuri blushes, turning his attention to his coffee, which Victor is already preparing to his liking: two sugars, a few drops of milk, and a sliver of ice from his water glass. He slides the cup his way and Yuuri sips from it, smiling. Victor's hand finds his own and curls around it, warm and bracing.

"Did you go sightseeing yesterday?" he asks everyone.

"Yeah, Box o' Bees took us to Namiseom Island," says JJ. "Dragged me to Little France."

"How was it?"

"Romantic," says Otabek lowly, from behind his teacup. Yuri's face turns bright red.

"Right! Congratulations on becoming Instagram's new It couple," says Christophe.

"God, it's not like he gave me a promise ring or anything," Yuri grumbles. "We just decided to let the public know we're seeing each other."

"As if it weren't already obvious," says Victor.

"Especially after you two fed each other aggressively mediocre croque madame from the same fork," says JJ.

"What's that?" asks Yuuri.

"It's an eating utensil."

"It's a ham and cheese sandwich with an egg on top," says Otabek.

"I wish I could've gone," says Yuuri, even though he doesn't: he spent the whole day playing phone apps with Victor on the settee on the balcony, drinking their way through all of the mini-fridge's overpriced soda pop. They couldn't kiss, of course, but Victor worked his lips gently down each side of Yuuri's neck, careful not to disturb the sore spots. Yuuri wanted badly to take him in his mouth. He settled instead for a slow handjob before separate showers, somehow unable to let Victor see him naked in a sexual context. He doesn't know what that's about yet, but he'll deal with it later. Right now it's mobile chess and soft drinks, holding hands in the breeze, feet up on the railing.