The Circuit

Two seconds did not go by before they came and saw Matt lying there on the ground, gasping for breath...

"The Circuit"

It was a cold summer day, very unusual for the somewhat small town of Sevenfold. Matt had finished another day at his day job, which was flipping burgers at McDonalds. He wanted to quit, but did not at the same time. He was working on the car that he raced with. The motor that was in the car was a 308 cubic inch four cylinder Ford engine with a supercharger that added one hundred horsepower. The car had won a lot of races.

The car was a 1975 Mustang. People underestimated this certain car because it was more compact and a more 'fuel efficient' car.

Matt kept working on his car, when one of his buddies rolled up. Brian opened the door to his truck and came to meet Matt, "Matt, you know there is this race near Death Punch Creek, and I really want you to come," Brian said. He had boots on with somewhat muddy pants on and a Chevrolet shirt on.

"Well, yeah, I was planning to go to a race tonight and it looks like this is the race. I will be there!" Matt kept working on his car and he took a drag on his cigarette.

"So, what have you been up to with the 'Stang?"

"Well, not much. Really, I have been trying to make it faster, but I do not really have the cash. The most money I have on me is about five thousand dollars. The car will compete with other cars, and hopefully it will kick ass at the race. I know it will!" Matt grabbed his beer and took a sip of it.

"That is good that you are very enthusiastic about the race tonight, but I have to warn you that those so-called cars make way more power than this piece of crap."

"Hey, do not call my car a piece of crap. I have put a lot of work into it. Besides, you should not worry because I got this. Just go home, eat your Cheerios, watch the PowerPuff Girls, and tonight we will kick their ass, okay?" Matt took another sip of his beer and looked at Brian.

"Well, okay. I trust you to pull out the win tonight, and by the way, I do not even like the PowerPuff Girls."

Matt kind of laughed after Brian had said this, "Oh yeah, I got another question for you."

"And what is your question?"

"What is the grand prize for the race tonight?" Matt took a long drag on his cigarette.

"Well, only three thousand dollars, at least that is what I heard," after Brian had said this, he walked over to the fridge, opened it, and got a beer out. He popped open the cap and started to drink.

Matt was wide-eyed and then he said, "Three thousand dollars is a good amount of money to win at a street race. If I win, I will be able to modify my car some more. Anyway, get home and I will be there at the race tonight."

"Okay," Brian walked back to his truck, opened the door, started his engine, and drove off.

Matt took a sip of his beer and continued to work on his Mustang. He tuned the exhaust, checked all of the spark plugs, and ran a diagnostic on the engine. After he did all of this, Matt decided that it was time to give the car a test drive. Matt opened the door and immediately, he felt something holding him back from getting into the car. He just brushed it off and got into the car.

Matt sat in the driver's seat, put the key into the ignition, and turned it over. When the car started, it sounded the way it should have. Matt let the car warm-up, and then he felt that the car was warm enough.

The car sounded like an imported car, This is another reason why a lot of people underestimated the car.

Matt pushed the clutch in and shifted the shift knob into reverse. He held the pedal halfway from the floor, then he released the clutch and the car jerked backward. When the car reached the road, Matt pushed the clutch in, shifted the car into first gear, and released the clutch. The car shot forward and Matt hammered the pedal down to the floor and he was starting to get up to one hundred thirty miles per hour.