Chapter 6- The sea

His eyes, it must be a dream. Nick is not prince, or? Though he never fitted in the streets of the industrial city. He was a white sheep among the black, as a stick among the matches. But the boy is a prince not poor boy. His name is not Nick, his name is Jonathan. He lied right in my face to give me a necklace.

The boy in front of me, loses my contact and starts talking in front of the men on the ship.

"Welcome on board men, it's now time to go home to the castle. I'm glad you'r still on my ship. The journey will take a few days, so I'll not disturb you very long. But before I end my talk here, please I welcome two new crewmates who will be on this ship.

"One of our best captains in the country, son of Jacob Parker, one of our new crew members Mateo Parker. Welcome to the ship, hope you will survive" says Jonathan.

Mateo's facial expression becomes straight. So you don't always survive this, it was probably a shock for Mateo and it doesn't make me feel better because I was never on a ship. Hope he's kidding.

"If I survive," Mateo repeats.

The crew laughs at that comment and finally Mateo falls into the laughter.

"But it's not the only one who will be with us on this journey," Jonathan continues, looking at me.

The crew becomes quieter so that their prince can continue to talk.

"Lane Jackson, who will work at the castle, will also go with us," says Jonathan, looking at his men.

Those who are closest, I feel how they look at me. Others I hear say words I do not want to say. Someone said a girl would just be in the way. How do I survive on a boat full of men who think they know everything? Not because they will kill me, but on the contrary. If they get on my nerves, I do not know what to do.

"So, it was nothing more. You can go back to your work. So throw away, now we're off," Jonathan says and walks in through a door.

I want to run after the prince, but that would only attract even more attention. So I stand in the place I stand and watch as the men around me disperse. Suddenly I feel an elbow in the side and someone whispering to me.

"It's better to do some good with those damn knots, than to stand here and look for the prince."

I look at Mateo and roll my eyes. He's going to be the last one I kill, if anything happens.

"I didn't stare on him, I just thought he was someone else i know" I say.

"Like the prince or?" says Mateo and laughs.

"Ha, Ha. How funny you are"

But I do as Mateo says and follow him to some ropes to be tied next to the railing. After many re-dos, I manage to make those knots pretty good. When it's finally time to stop, we've been dumping several hours ago. And now I can finally stand up and look at the sea, for the first time in my life. I stand as close to the railing as I can and look out at the calm and peaceful water. When the sun's last rays of the day shine on it, it colors the surface in the most beautiful shimmering colors I've seen. It is like the sea burning, even though solid water cannot burn. I look at it with my own eyes and I can hardly believe it. Marcus and Eric have told us about the sea and the sun. But I thought it was just a fairy tale, a fairy tale that older brothers tell their little sister. Someone is raking behind me, but I have a hard time checking away from the sea and the sun. But I turn around and look at a pair of eyes that reflect it all.

"Beautiful sunset," says Jonathan.

I turn around again and look out to sea.

"The most beautiful I've ever seen," I say dreamily.

I see out of the corner of my eye how he stands next to me and looks out at the sunset. He exhales and a relief spreads across his face.

"You're probably right, it's very beautiful"

When he says that, my hand is pulled towards the necklace around my neck. I bring it out, so it can shine in the burning colors. I let the last rays of the sun shine on the necklace and dazzle Jonathan. He smiles when he sees the necklace and does not try to hide the smile.

"Why did you give me this job?" I ask, looking into Jonathan's eyes.

His eyes convey that he wants to say something but don't know how to get the right words, which are suitable enough.

"Come," he says, nodding at the door he disappeared through several hours ago.

But I follow, I have nothing else to do and he is a prince so it is probably good to stay on the good side. The door leads to a corridor, which is in much better shape than those who work have their cabins somewhere. He opens a door at the far end of the corridor. Jonathan walks in the door and I do the same and close the door behind us. The room is a large office and behind the desk there are large windows that open onto the sea. There are lots of things on the walls, shelves with books in them, paintings and lots of other things. There are also two other doors in the room. Jonathan nods at the one on the right.

"I think it's best if you get your own place. The door on the right," says Jonathan.

"Thank you" I say, but get no answer.

When I turn around again, Jonathan is gone. Guys, this is the second time he does so and it doesn't get directly more fun every time. I carefully open the right door. It is a small room, with a small bed and a chest of drawers. The quilt is a thin blue sheet and the pillow is also blue.

When I go to bed at night, I can really feel that I have done something that I do not usually do. Everything feels so different, everything is like something else. The sky, the sea and even the air feel different. The air does not suffocate one with all the toxins. The sky is not always gray and there is a glittering sea just outside the window. The only thing that resembled the sea at home was the brown river that flows two kilometers from where I lived. Edmund and I could do this without anyone seeing us. We did nothing special there, we just sat there and watched as the water slowly flowed past. We needed to take a break from all the people, all the people who said that what we were doing was not good, from all that was bad.

But in the end you succeed, you can do something good. Edmund moved to the country and I got a job. The world can change, as long as you try or get the chance. But if I say it was a prince who gave me the job, no one will believe me. I do not know myself if I believe in it yet. because it seems too good to be true, so I hope when I wake up tomorrow that this is not just a dream.

This is not a fairy tale, this is actually my life.

There is no magic here and magic has never existed and will probably never find.