Meeting

"Today is the day. The day when I, Lucy Wallaby, will go to work and get a promotion." I recited, nervously fiddling with my frilled, ivory blouse in front of the mirror.

I have curly dark brown hair that ends at my shoulders, dark brown eyes, and a short, pear-shaped figure. 

I picked my keys out of the little copper bowl by my front door and, just before I left, I closed my eyes and let out the deep breath I had been holding in all morning.

"I can do it," I stated as I opened the door and left my small, ground-floor apartment.

-----

I was more nervous than ever now. I was sitting on one of the plush sofas outside the Head Editor's office of Harton & Co.

Unsure of what to do, I decided to reach for one of the fashion magazines to my side. I wasn't particularly into fashion because I didn't like to look just as plain as everybody else, but I quite liked some of the magazines because a few of the outfits were unique and interesting. 

Just as I was all-but-absentmindedly flicking through the third or fourth page, I heard my name being called, "Miss Lucy Wallaby?"

I looked up to see the head editor standing in the doorway. I stood up and shook their hand before being lead into the office.

"Hello, Lucy, my name is Charlie Harton. It's great to meet you. You've applied for a promotion of your current job: to be a full-time journalist and photographer, haven't you?" The editor said, knocking me out of my thoughts.

"It's great to meet you too, Mr Harton. Yes, I'm here for the promotion - I hope it's not rude of my to be asking. Thank you for giving me this opportunity, and I promise, if you hire me, I'll work my absolute hardest to be a good journalist."

The employer smiled curiously, "I've read your CV, Miss Wallaby, and I have to say, I'm very impressed, however, a little confused if I'm honest." She bent down beside her desk to get the CV out of the filing drawer. "You said here," she said, running her fingers across the lines as she read, "You do lots of different volunteering. May I ask why?"

Oh no.

I'd been expecting this question to come up, but I still hadn't braced myself enough for it.

Don't freak out. Don't freak out. 

"Well, to be quite frank, it fills me with joy. I absaloutely love helping the disadvantaged become more advantaged, or just help them out here and there, even if it's just something as simple as keeping teens off the streets at night by providing a place for them to socialise and maybe even learn some better habits." My expression grew more and more joyful as I went on. Yes, still full of doubt and anxiety, but slowly growing more confident in myself. I knew there was no point hiding it - probably best not to anyway, I should be proud - but I wanted to take all the chances I could get.

Mr Harton nodded, "Okay, that sounds fair. I'm not going to pry any further because I'm afraid you won't stop talking."

We laughed in unison.

"I'm actually very impressed at how you manage to do so many things. I'm fascinated in your humanitarianism. You also mentioned that you went on a gap year to do some missionary work in Durban, helping build a village. I am baffled at how you do so much charity work." Mr Harton stood up, "However, I have to be sure, Lucy, that you won't run away from this job. Is that okay?"

I looked up in surprise and stood to be polite. "Yes, of course. I understand and I promise, I'll always do what is most important in the situation."

Ha, so if the charity is more important, I'll do that. Hahaha! But seriously - I really want this job.

Mr Harton smiled warmly, "Well, Lucy, you know how impressed I am with your CV, and now that we have that sorted out, I'm pleased to inform you that you have the job as review editor. Can you start tomorrow?"

He reached her hand out to shake, "oh, and by the way, doll, call me Charlie, it's much less formal."

I grinned, said my thanks, and left the building with a new job and a smile plastered to my face in the hope of starting a new life here in New York.

-----

The sky was bright, the sun was out, and there were few clouds to be seen. I felt like I could just fly off and forget about all of my worries forever.

Of course, that wouldn't be possible. Even if it was, it wouldn't happen.

Shut up.

Heck, she felt as if she had no more worries to worry about. This was odd. Very odd indeed. Mabel never felt like this. She was always worried about something or other.

Why aren't I worrying? Mabel thought.

I started to worry about not being worried.

No! I will not get worried about nothing! There's no point. I have nothing to be worried about.

This exact thought made my worry even more. As the anxiety overtook my thoughts, the sky turned more and more grey. Clouds started to form out of nowhere and people nervously looked for their umbrellas. Still half in a trance, I didn't look as I rushed across the road. A taxi knocked into me, causing me to fall and hit my head. 

Fun.

Suddenly, rain fell heavily towards the earth.