Chapter 2

The school bell rings. Char walks through the hallway and tries to pass the slow people. She walks towards her locker and realizes that she doesn’t remember her combination. She still tries to unlock it. After many attempts, she soon gave up.

“Hey Char!” Lucas yelled from down the hall.

Char waves at Lucas. She tries to open her locker once more, but she fails to succeed again.

Lucas sees Char struggling to open her locker and breaks through his group of friends and jogs towards her.

“Having a little trouble there?” he asks with a quiet laugh.

“Ugh, yes…”

“Here, let me try”

Lucas twists the combination wheel back and forth. Click. He opens the locker and smiles.

“I guess I still remember it from that one time you texted me to get some of your “lady things” when you were in the bathroom.” He chuckled. Char’s face flushes with embarrassment.

“Lucas! You promised to never bring that up again. Jerk!” She says as she smacks his arm.

They both laugh uncontrollably as they walk to class together.

Char and Lucas walk into history class and all his friends greet him. Char is like a ghost in the school. No one noticed her and no one even tried to. Lucas is always the one that’s invited to parties and got all the ladies. Char just kind of stood by him. She was okay with how it was. She didn’t have a need for friends. Lucas is more than enough for her. She didn’t need to party every night. She’d much rather stay in and watch a good romantic comedy. Lucas always asked her to tag along to the parties, but Char knew that she wasn’t welcomed. She always came up with an excuse like she’s busy doing homework. But the truth was, Char never has homework. She always has extra time in class and finishes it early. But she knew that if she actually went to the parties, she’d be the person that sits in the corner alone because Lucas is pulled away by all his friends.

Class finally ends and Char wraps up her work and tosses it into her backpack. Lucas had already left with his other friends. She swings her backpack around her and walks towards the door. Suddenly a tall boy with black hair that covered his ears runs right through the door and nearly knocks her over.

“Sorry.” he says with a short of breath.

“It’s okay.” Char says as she adjusts her backpack.

Char walks down the hallway and tries to dodge all the couples making out in front of their lockers. She didn’t understand why they have to stick their tongues down each other’s throats during school. Did they ever hang out outside of school? We come to school for education. Not to watch couples grope each other. Char has a big opinion. Just not a big mouth. She thinks a lot. But she doesn’t say much. To be quite honest, Char only hates couples because she’s slightly jealous of them. She sometimes wishes that someone could come and sweep her off her feet and kiss her passionately in front of everyone. Because when you see a man kissing a woman, that means, 'She’s mine.' Char longs for love. But she’s not naive enough to actually believe it could happen.