Serene is to Chaos

Niou Masaharu spent his vacant periods on the rooftop; he loved the silence in the rooftop. He loved watching people walking around from up there. He loved how the sun shone on him, how the wind seemed warmer, how the sky seemed closer. But what he loved the most about the rooftop, was, it was the only place where he could be free to dream about things, people, pranks, tennis, without anyone disturbing him.

“Niou-kun.”

Or so he thought.

“What do you want Yaaaaaaaguu?” He purposely distorted the other boy’s name.

“Did I disturb you?” Yagyuu asked noting the irritated tone of Niou’s voice.

“Yah think?” was the response.

“Sumimasen. I just wanted to ask you something.” Yagyuu reasoned out.

“What is it that you want to ask that you have to invade my happy place?” Niou leaned on the fence and crossed his arms.

“About what you said the other day after the Kantou finals.” Yagyuu started.

“So? Interested in playing doubles?” Niou asked.

“I’ve considered it, and I think I’ll take that offer.” Yagyuu adjusted his glasses.

“We can start training soon, but since you’re not in the regulars yet, we can’t compete in tournaments yet.” Niou explained.

“I understand perfectly Niou-kun.” Yagyuu nodded then began to walk away.

“Yagyuu, can I ask you something?” Niou called out.

“Absolutely Niou-kun.” Yagyuu turned towards the boy waiting for his next words.

Niou thought for a while before speaking up, “Never mind.” Then turns his back on Yagyuu.

“Iiyo.” Yagyuu confused, then walked down from the rooftop.

Back in his silence and alone time, Niou went back to sightseeing, when he spotted a familiar purple head walking out of the library. Unconsciously he smiles, and for some unexplained reason his heart was lighter.

---oOo---

Yagyuu Hiroshi loved to read, but when he was not reading, he would observe people. He didn’t need silence or alone time to do that, his eyes would dance from one person to another closely monitoring their movements and facial reactions. He could tell your life story just by observing you move from one part of the room to another. He didn’t mind being disturbed in his observing; he welcomed everyone with a smile.

“Yagyuu-kun.” Yanagi called out.

“Yanagi-kun, nande?”