Chapter Two

The next day dragged on for what felt like an eternity. Mark was sore from his club meeting the night before. He and Tyler had tried out a new rock climbing routine that was just as strenuous as it was rewarding. Mark loved to rock climb and he was really glad to have started up the club at school with his friends, but it always wore him out. He didn't put as much effort into it as he used to.

He almost texted Sean and asked if they could reschedule or something, but Mark knew he just had to suck it up at this point or else the project was never going to be finished.

Mark was honestly a little surprised when he pulled up in front of an extremely nice house.

Although he somehow should have expected it, as Sean seemed like the type to keep quiet about any sort of family fortune. Nevertheless, Mark was still thoroughly aggravated when he rung the fancy shiny doorbell.

A small meow interrupted his thoughts and he looked down. A rather fluffy calico was perched on the ground by Mark's feet. It meowed again, as if begging for attention. Mark complied and stooped down to run his hand over the cat's velvety fur.

The door opened. Mark didn't look up, "Never knew you had a cat, Sean."

There was an rich Irish laugh, "Not my cat."

Mark looked up. He was met with blue Irish eyes, a smirk, and green hair. Mark stuttered and his voice went up an octave, he cursed it in this moment, "Y-you dyed your hair." It was more of a statement than a question.

The Irishman still answered, "Yep."

Mark stood back up and stared. The boy before him was wearing a loose fitting black tank top and his skinny jeans were laced with holes. He had gauges.

"Your ears are pierced." Again not a question, just a statement.

"Your point being?" He responded.

Mark stayed silent and the cat meowed again at his feet. The boy nearly growled at the feline,

"Fuckin' Christ, Sorche, not every hot ass that walks through the door gets your undivided attention"

Mark gaped, "What?"

The Irishman looked up as if confused by the other's confusion, then, opened his mouth to reply, "I think you're fucking se-"

A scarily similar Irish voice interrupted from inside the house, "Jack, I swear if you are harassing my classmate--" Another Sean appeared in the doorway, this one void of a vibrant head of hair.

The first one quipped back, "Swear you'll what? Hit me with a textbook?"

The brunette groaned, "Just go play Rockband or something please? Believe it or not Mark and I actually need to work on this project."

The green haired Irishman stuck his tongue out childishly but retreated back into the house.

Mark was still utterly confused and slightly flustered. The brunette-Sean turned to him with a look of apology, "I'm sorry about him, he just doesn't know when to stop sometimes." Sean shook his head, "Anyway, please, come in."

Mark wordlessly stepped inside and his lab partner beckoned in the cat behind him. He took a moment to take in the house around him. The place was very nicely furnished yet somehow still felt homey. A home away from home Mark realized. It must have been hard moving to somewhere so different than before. Mark could hardly imagine it.

Sean walked past him carrying the purring calico and motioned for Mark to follow. They both treaded up the stairs in silence, and at the top of the steps Sean pushed into a room. Mark glanced down the hall to where a vaguely recognizable song played behind a closed door but followed his peer inside.

The room was surprisingly more homey than Mark would have imagined. Knickknacks and trinkets lined the shelves alongside copious books. When the Korean took a closer look he realized that many of the small figurines were characters he recognized. Kerbal Space Program, Fallout, Undertale, as well as many others among the somewhat organized clutter.

"I didn't know you played video games," Mark said, looking over to where Sean was unpacking things for them to work on.

The Irishman looked up for a moment, "Yeah. I play with Jack a lot. Haven't recently though, been pretty busy with school stuff."

Mark nodded. "So I'm guessing Jack is..."

"My brother, yeah," Sean supplied. "The one you had the misfortune of meeting at the door."

Mark hummed.

"Uh," Sean pulled the office chair at his desk. "Please, sit."

Mark took the seat he was offered as his partner laid across his bed and switched on his laptop. Mark began shuffling through the papers in his bookbag and pulled out the science project.

"So let's get to work?"

Mark looked up, "Yeah."