The case of the missing briefcase

William Rogers the owner of the law firm Rogers and Son never went anywhere without his briefcase it was the item that never left his side, it was glued to his side in some respect and when it went missing (along with a few other peculiar items). It had all his meeting notes,his diary,his phone,organiser and a few other items including a small amount of money.He was very curious about what had happened to it.

Myself as a junior police officer was sent to investigate the case, as some experience in smaller scale cases.I found the disappearance quite puzzling and had no initial ideas as to it's location. So I set to work asking various routine questions: 'When did you last see your briefcase?', 'When did you notice it was missing?' and 'who would have had access to your briefcase?'

Mr Rogers replied he had last seen his briefcase at a meeting in York he had then taken the train back home to London.They had called the meeting venue and they had found no such brief case.He had noticed it was missing half way through the train journey home. The people who had access to his brief case were: his personal assistant,his secretary, some of his associates and his wife.

Myself I thought this was clearly a case of a simple theft, very unlucky to Mr Rogers but simple still.I was proved very wrong though, this case seemed to be a lot deeper and more complicated than I first thought.

• • •

To begin with there was only limited number of inquires I could make in the missing brief case. Since there was not even a scrap of evidence,my job was made very hard.

I interviewed Mr Rogers' personal assistant, secretary, his associates and even his wife but I did not gather a substantial amount of evidence. All I concluded was that Mr Rogers was a fairly 'firm but fair' character and although not everyone liked him no one would really steal his briefcase, his briefcase which they knew was his whole life contained in one object.

Then the letters started to come...

• • •

A week or so later some very peculiar letters began to come to Mr Rogers.The letters were very amateurish and consisted of various letters clearly ripped from newspapers magazines stuck on sheets of lined note paper.

The letters were all signed 'your worst nightmare' which was a were stereotypical attempt at blackmail. They looked like they had come straight out a particularly cliché detective drama.

On the other hand sometimes the first time blackmailer can be the most dangerous, they don't really have any experience in the department of blackmail they will do anything to get money. They are can range from people who need a bit of extra money to people who think turning to blackmail will come