Chapter Five: Shopping

Francis smiled when he saw it, and it was absolutely perfect for Ludwig. He gently grabbed it and continued looking around, reading off the list Ludwig had given him of things his family members like. Once Francis was finished, he went to the register and had them wrapped. He went out the door and walked home, eager to put the labels and ribbons on. He walked through the door and went to his room where he sat on his bed. He reviewed the list again.

Gilbert: Chick related things, porn, "rock star" things,
Basch: Money, Gold, office supplies
Erika: Cute things, dresses and ribbons, she often likes money too though
Hungary: She always enjoys new pots and pans, cooking tools, but she also enjoys cute things and dresses, though she more likes "anime merchandise" from what I understand
Roderich: Music related things, books, new suits
Father Beilschmidt: Pretty much anything he'll accept, but he enjoys new technology and books

Ludwig had tried to sway Francis against it, insisting that his family was fine and he didn't have to buy presents for them. Francis wanted to make a good impression though, and it was his close friend's family, he felt like he need to. He had also chewed Ludwig out on not including himself in the list, but Ludwig went on to say he didn't need a present. Francis had also gotten one for Matthew which he would ship to France, but he doubted Matthew would really appreciate it seeing as how he acted when Francis said he was moving to Germany. Christmas was in a week, and Francis looked forward to meeting everyone Ludwig and Gilbert had talked about and to see how they would like his presents to them. Francis smiled and put all labels and ribbons on the boxes. Once he had finished he put them on the couch and admired them for a moment, then he walked out to go to the cafe. Ludwig was making coffee for a customer when Francis came in. There were two other people in the cafe, both were watching something on a laptop, so Francis approached Ludwig with a smile.
"I bought you and your family presents today." Ludwig looked up and shook his head.
"I mean...I can't refuse you buying presents for my family...but me?" Francis frowned, and grabbed Ludwig's hand much to Ludwig's surprise.
"You're my friend Ludwig. Of course I'm going to buy something for you....you don't have to get anything for me, but I won't neglect to buy you something." Ludwig sighed and let a small smile form on his face.
"Don't worry. I already have something for you. The usual?" Ludwig asked, grabbing a coffee cup.
"Oui." Francis nodded, pulling out his wallet, but Ludwig stopped him.
"This one's on me. Your coffee and croissant are free tonight." Francis let a grin spread on his face, and he patted Ludwig's back.
"Merci Beaucoup!" Francis exclaimed, and Ludwig nodded making Francis the coffee. The other two seemed to giggle at Francis and Ludwig, as their closeness was cute and gay to them, but Francis and  Ludwig didn't notice the other two, Francis was watching Ludwig cheerfully, and Ludwig was looking back fondly. Ludwig once he was finished making Francis' coffee, he came out from behind the counter to hand it to Francis. The Frenchman placed his items on the table and hugged Ludwig, who hesitated for a moment at the embrace, but soon hugged back. It was then that Gilbert walked in. It was quite unusual for the older brother to come to the cafe to see his brother, but it was now of all times he did decide to come in.
    "Woah! You guys are getting so close!" Gilbert chuckled, seeing the pair hugging. Ludwig scowled and pulled out of the hug, Francis' smile dropped to an embarrassed blush.
    "Shut up Gilbert. We're just friends. How many times do I have to tell you?"
    "Keep telling yourself that. You can tell me as many times as you like, but let's face it, your friendship is gay!" Gilbert snickered, and other two customers were laughing quietly, seemingly agreeing with Gilbert. The older German noticed this and grinned mischievously.
    "Well....it seems they agree with me. Anyway, I stopped by to tell you I'm going out with some friends, so if you want to bring your boyfriend home and have sex, go ahead." Gilbert said, and with that he left. Ludwig's face was as red as a tomato, and Francis shied down into his seat in embarrassment. The taller German let out a sigh and looked at Francis who was looking down at the table.
    "I...sorry...." was all the German could muster. Francis looked up at Ludwig and shook his head.
    "You can't control what your brother does...and it's probably my fault...because I tend to like hugging..."
    "Oh nein. Every time I try to make friends he teases me. I've only really been a in a relationship once and it crashed...my family, especially my brother, they all want me to find someone else...." Ludwig sighed sitting down next to Francis. The smaller man simply nodded, knowing asking questions may not be wise. He put a hand on Ludwig's shoulder.
    "Well...maybe you will find someone else. I'm sure there's someone out there for you. Whoever she was, she probably didn't deserve you."
    "It....was a guy...I'm gay..." Ludwig admitted, looking down to the ground.
    "He didn't deserve you. You're a great guy Ludwig, and I can't see why anyone would ever hurt you. If you ever need to talk to someone...I'm here. That's what friends are for right?"
    "J-ja...." Ludwig now looked up at Francis who was smiling at him. The German felt something warm rise in him when he looked into Francis' eyes, but it was absurd. He couldn't love Francis...could he?
__________________________________________________________________________________