Prologue

A flash of light. Followed by a zig-zag across the sky. I continued on my homework, ignoring the feeling that something was very wrong. After all, wasn't lightning common in Venezuela? When I was young, Mother always told me facts before I go to sleep, while other children were tucked in to bed by adoring parents who read out bedtime stories. I've always admired them, because that wasn't something I had.

My mother is different from others, as you can see from what she does. I was named Nine for some reason, according to her, but I grew up to learn not to ask. One of her common sayings were, "Ask only if you want to know the hard truth." Perplexed by it, I still did not ask her, afraid of what she might say next.

I still remember when I was in elementary school, I was not popular at all. In fact, I was too shy to start friendships with other classmates and therefore went all those years that normal kids would have had fun. Unusually, my mother had knew that and she had said shortly, "I know, it is normal for people like us."

There were a few incidences where my mother had acted weirdly, but besides that I had--have-- loved her, because she was the only family I had. My father had passed away when I was young, and I had no siblings nor relatives at all. I wasn't emotional, because I did not know him at all.

Everything was normal,well, as normal as it can be, until that night. It changed everything, from my knowledge of my mother, to what I know about myself. It changed.