Chapter 13

***

Today's the day. I'm really trying not to get my hopes up just in case it turns into a disaster like most things in my life. However, I can't help but to feel a little bit excited about going out with Harry tonight.

I haven't told Melanie or Amber about my planned excursions this evening mostly because I don't want to worry them. They both think I should stay away from him, Amber being more skeptical of him than Melanie. Imagine what they would think if I told them what happened not too long ago at his house...

"Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play-"

"Hey John," I answer the phone swiftly.

"Good morning sweetie, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing a lot better. I went out with the girls last night and I got a bit of a hangover, but I'm doing alright."

"That's good Pay, just stay hydrated and eat something and you should feel better," I smile at his fatherly advice. John's the best.

"By the way, have you heard anything from detective Sherin?"

"The last I heard from him was 5 day ago on Tuesday. He pretty much just told me that they finished collecting evidence from the crime scene and are going to be running it through analysis and all that jazz."

"Well let's cross our fingers that they find something."

"Yeah, I arranged an appointment with the detective for this upcoming Tuesday for an update on the case. If you'd like, you can come with me?"

"Of course I'll go with you sweetie. You do not have to face this alone, I will always be right there by your side," John replies, bringing tears in my eyes from relief.

How did I get so lucky to have a person like John in my life? I honestly don't know what I would do without him. He's the only family I have left and I am so grateful he's stuck with me.

"Thank you, John. Really, I appreciate you so much."

"It's not a problem at all honey. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Do you have any plans for tonight?"

Heat rises on my cheeks as I think about my plans with Harry.

"Yeah, I have a date tonight," I reply, cuddling into my comforter in excitement.

"Oh, really now? When am I going to meet this young man?"

I laugh, "It's too soon to tell if it's going to be a thing, but as soon as I know, you will get to interrogate him all you want."

"Alright sweetie, just be careful and bring your pepper spray," I chuckle at his overprotectiveness. That's not a bad idea though.

"Oh, before I go! I almost forgot. Your mom's apartment complex has given us a week to get your mom's stuff out of there. If you don't want to do it, that perfectly fine hun, I just wanted to tell you just in case you wanted to say your final goodbyes."

A heavy sigh courses through my body. The fact that my mom is actually dead still hasn't settled with me. Yes, I already buried her, but the realities of her death seem unreal. Packing up her stuff and putting it away is just going to enforce the fact that she's gone.

"Thanks for letting me know, I'll stop by there on Monday and start packing some of her stuff up."

It's only right for me to go. I was her only daughter and I need to say goodbye.