Not goodbye, just see you later

A/n: takes place as Axel is leaving, in season 2.

"Mark, Mark! Has Axel already gone?" Jude asked, running up to him.

"Yeah he just left," Mark replied sadly.

"Bother," Jude grumbled, as he ran off the direction that Axel had gone.

A few minutes later Jude saw Axel walking in the distance.

"Axel!" Jude called, running up to him.

"Jude? Why are you here?" Axel asked, quickly wiping his eyes on his shirt sleeve. It was obvious that he had been crying.

Jude briefly hugged him.

"I'm sorry, I was stupid not to notice it, those aliens... Your sister... I understand," he mumbled.

Axel returned the hug sadly.

"You'll be back though, right?" Jude added.

"I hope so," Axel whispered.

"You will," Jude more confidently, pulling away slightly, "and until then, we'll train really hard, and beat alius academy for you,"

Axel smiled sorrowfully, "I can't wait," he whispered

Axel turned and started to walk away.

Jude stared at him sadly. He knew that he loved Axel now, and he really wanted to tell him. On the other hand he didn't want to risk their friendship.

"Wait-" Jude half yelled. Immediately he wished that he hadn't. What was he going to say now? Admit his feelings? Right now?

'Damn everything,' Jude thought suddenly.

Jude leant towards Axel and kissed him lightly, before turning and running, to hide his embarrassment.

Axel stood there for several seconds, shocked, before calling out to Jude.

Jude kept running. Why had he done that? What if he had broken his friendship with Axel? What if he never saw Axel again? What if he did? Wouldn't it be awkward?

He ran all the way back to the camp, where he grabbed a football and kicked in angrily onto a tree.

'I shouldn't have done that, but there's nothing that I can do about it now,' he thought.

In the meantime Axel had walked into town to catch a bus.

He was pondering what had happened carefully.

Did this mean that Jude liked him back?

He sighed. He would just have to wait and see. If only Jude hadn't run away...