04.

Moments of silence pass, and he looks down at his lap, sighing, "You know, when we first met, I saw that you viewed me as this independent hero

Moments of silence pass, and he looks down at his lap, sighing, "You know, when we first met, I saw that you viewed me as this independent hero. That's not who I am, though... I'm no hero."

I reach out and put my hand on his shoulder, causing him to look at me, "Jason, you saved lives. To be exact, you saved my friends lives. You pursued this act of bravery to make sure that the man didn't hurt anyone...That's about as heroic as it gets."

He shakes his head, "Then why does..."

He pulls his smartphone out from his pocket, swiping up and down on the screen before facing it toward me.

"Why does this person have something against me? And more importantly, why are they so upset to see I've involved you?"

Sent at 3:40 today: telling daliah wasn't a wise decision. don't want to have a repeat of spring break, do you?

My heart starts to beat fast as I contemplate the possible people who could be sending these messages.

"J.D.?"

His stern facial expression turns soft, "Yeah? Woah, you're shaking."

He takes off his flannel and hands it to me, "Here."

I blush, "Oh, I shouldn't."

He rolls his eyes, still offering the flannel. After hesitating for a moment, I take it, despite actually feeling quite warm. I put it on and immediately feel a cozy sensation throughout my body.

"Better?"

"Yeah."

"Good. So, you seemed like you wanted to say something else?"

I nod, "Oh, right! So, you know, the only people who have known about that night and could possibly be this anon... Are my - I mean, our - friends."

His eyes widen and he nods in agreement,

"But, if that's true, then who? -"

Suddenly I hear leaves rustle outside, and J.D approaches the window slowly.

He looks at the window, and we both realize that the window wasn't shut fully.

Someone must have heard everything.

He stays there for a few moments and turns back to me, dumbfounded, before being startled by his phone's ringtone.