Chapter Two

Walking was pleasant, it allowed her to think about them. They were so kind, a warm embrace helping her cold, stressful life.

She unlocked her apartment door, stepping in to see Luna staring blankly at the ceiling.
"What're you doing ma'am?" Cassie asked the cat jokingly.
Luna jumped, her blind cat eyes moved frantically as if they worked.

Cassie laughed, knowing that she shared a similar ailment to her feline companion. Cassidy was blind in one eye, that eye was dim and grey compared to her other, hazel eye.

Cassidy walked over and flung herself onto the couch, turning on the television and allowing herself to get comfortable. She draped a blanket over herself that had previously been laid nicely on the couch and took her phone out of her pocket.

She located the social media application she was looking for. She tapped it and then swiped her way to her messages. The group chat was quiet, Lyle was the only one online.

StrawberryWaves is Now Online.
{HS}: Oh, hi Cassie, did you eat?
{SW}: Hi Lyle, yeah I ate.
{SW}: How about you?
{HS}: Yeah, I've been painting all day though, it's tiring :P.
{SW}: What are you painting?
{HS}: Commission piece, it's of a mountain range with water and stuff and it's pretty nice.
{SW}: Nice!
{HS}: Wait hold on a second.

Lyle got off the group chat and started a private chat between himself and Cassidy. He proceeded speaking in the private chat.

{HS}: Here, we won't spam the others if we use this chat.
{SW}: Oh! Thank you!
{HS}: Well, I better stop stalling and get back to painting, keep this chat in mind btw, I'm online a lot.
{SW}: Alright, goodbye Lyle.
{HS}: Bye Cass.
HollowSpace is Now Away.
StrawberryWaves is Now Offline.

Cassie reread the last text he send five times before logging off. She hadn't been called Cass since she was a kid by her childhood friend. She shook this nostalgic feeling off and went on, doing nothing of importance the rest of the day.

She rolled out of bed the next morning, getting dressed and heading to her scheduled classes. She had English XIII, Literary Analysis, and Philosophy that morning. She went through the classes fairly quickly, being assigned a large project that was due a week from then.

Walking back from her class she stopped at the library and grabbed a bunch of books. She set them down at a desk, sitting behind the stack of books she started reading.

Her notebook pages filled almost instantly and with that boredom came creeping in. She ran her fingers over the page of the book she was reading and realised it. She had her phone.

Soon after that it was in her hand and she was chatting with the only guy on in a private chat.

HollowSpace is Now Online.
StrawberryWaves is Now Online.
{HS}: Hello!
{SW}: Hi!
{HS}: What are you up to right now?
{SW}: I'm sitting in a library attempting to get a head start on a project. This is a very unlikely occurrence but it's happening.
{HS}: Nice, I'm wondering if I could get some advice since you're pretty smart ya know.
{SW}: What do you need? On a side note you're studying to be a rocket scientist of course you're smart.
{HS}: So my roommate just walked in with a large Chinese takeout box and it's shaking aggressively so I asked what was in it and he just said "shh, you'll find out in time." Should I be afraid?
{SW}: Oh my God, I snorted and the librarian looked at me.
{SW}: Be afraid man.
{HS}: He left it on the counter and he's in the bathroom should I check what it is?
{SW}: Yes.
{HS}: Okay.
{HS}: I picked it up and there is a puddle of water on the table where it was.
{HS}: OH MY GOD.
{SW}: WHAT IS IT?
{HS}: IT'S A LIVE BABY LOBSTER.
{HS}: DUDE MY ROOMMATES COMING BACK AND I HAVE A BABY LOBSTER IN MY HANDS HE'S GONNA SCREAM.
{SW}: I'M CH OKING.
{HS}: HE WALKED IN, LOOKED AT ME AND SAID "Meet my son." I DON'T KNOW WHATS GOING ON ANYMORE.
{SW}: The librarian is staring at me, I am crying.
{HS}: HE PULLED A FISH TANK OUT FROM UNDER HIS BED AND IS NOW FILLING IT WITH WATER.
{HS}: I'm so concerned.
{SW}: This is amazing.
{HS}: I gtg I gotta find out what we're doing with this thing.
{SW}: Ok.
HollowSpace is Now Offline.
StrawberryWaves is Now Offline.

She continued her homework, finishing it and then walking home. She checked her phone, noticing that Lyle was offline and yet he sent her an update before logging off. It read:

{HS}: I now own a pet lobster named Stewart. I am raising him as my own.

Cassie laughed before continuing her walk, she felt closer to him. She felt joyful.