California

“I can’t believe this is finally happening!  We’ve been dreaming of this for years!” squeals Audrey.  The pilot says we’re going to be landing in fifteen minutes.  We won’t be landing just anywhere.  No, Audrey and I will be in LAX airport in fifteen minutes!  

The plane dips below the last layer of clouds and the magnificent California is revealed to us.  My friend and I are from Bloomingfield, Connecticut where it’s always rainy and gloomy, nothing ever happens there.  But here, the sun shines all day every day and there’s always something to do, something to see, someone to meet.  

The pilot says, “Welcome to Los Angeles, California.  It’s eighty-five degrees and sunny, enjoy your stay.”

“That’s the sweetest sound I’ve ever heard,” I sigh.  I’m nearly shaking with excitement. This is where I, Meghan Bailey, have the honor of living for the next two months-actually, I would be living in West Covina, a half hour from LA.  Of course my best friend Audrey will be with me as well.

I’m the first one to jump out of my seat the second it’s announced we can leave.  My friend isn’t far behind me, we grab our carry ons and bolt off of the plane smiling like Cheshire cat.

“So many celebrities live here!  What if we see Justin Timberlake, or Leonardo DiCaprio, or Taylor Swift?  What if we see Cameron Dallas?” she thinks out loud.

I laugh, “In case you’ve already forgotten, we are going to see Cam at Magcon next week.  We’ll see all of them and meet them and it will be the best day ever!”

“But that’s so far away!  Plus, we’re going to be living only a half an hour from him!”  If life can just stay like this forever, that would be great.  Both of us just recently graduated from high school and were packing to come here before we got our diplomas.

Holding my elbow out to her, we link arms and skip to the luggage claim.  The people here are a breed of their own.  They’re beautiful, sunkissed and everyone looks famous.  It reminds me that I should start working out, and go tanning, and learn to do my makeup better.   In short, it makes me feel very self conscious.

Once I see the luggage claim, I stop thinking about myself like that and try to find our bags.  “It’s only 12:30!  Let’s go get our car and then go to the house.  Then, maybe we can find something fun to do.”

I shrug, “We could go shopping to find something to wear next Saturday.”  Saturday is when we’re going to Magcon a.k.a. the best day of my life.

“Yes!  You know, I think California is going to become our new best friend.”