Untitled fantasy story

The boy's eyes slowly open. He breathes in his first conscious breath of the day. He takes in the scent of the hovel, scanning it, looking for a reason to get out of his bed.

Ribbit ribbit

A vibrant amphibian leaps onto a toadstool beside the half-elf. The frog stares, it's beady red eyes piercing the boy's. The frog blinks. Then again. And again. Its face then transforms into something sour, if at all possible.

"What are you doing in my house!" The lime colored amphibian hollers at the half-elf. The elf's eyes widen. He takes in a large breath, and releases it in a terrified scream. "Why are you screaming? You invaded my home!" The elf is completely left without a word to say of his trespassing. He merely moves on.

"How or why can you talk?"

"What do you mean?" The frog asks. "For your information, elf, all amphibians can speak. None of you ever speak to us, however."

"He's got a point, my dude." An earthly colored toad hops next to him. Its face is more relaxed. A smirk rests under its nose. "If any of yous would say something to us maybe you'd find out more." The elf stands, his eyes soften slightly as he adjusts himself to his environment. Seeing no reason to stay, he turns for his pack.

"Can I just go and leave you guys to your amphibious conversations?" compacting his bedroll, he shakes his head. "Talking frogs. What's next, flying monkeys?" He turns away. "Oh good morning, Vergil. Have some crazy for breakfast!" He yells at the pair.

"Oooh, I like this one. Wait! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"What is it, Remy?"

"Let's follow him."

"Why would we do that?"

"We can finally accomplish our goal! Let's just follow him. C'mon." Remy holds onto the last word.

"You think so?"

"Absolutely."

"Then let's, shall we?" The verdant one takes the first hop toward the half-elf. The earthen one follows. The elf turns around.

"So what? You guys just gonna follow me?" The neon creature daringly leaps onto the shoulder of the elf.

"Onward! To adventure!"

"I'm just going to the next town, man."