Chapter 4

The drive to the arena was full of laughs as I told Riley about my past rodeo incidents. Including one time that I was chased by a steer after pulling its head to the ground. "You mean it actually chased you?" she giggled. I nodded. "As I live and breath." Riley pulled into the grounds and parked next to several other trailers. I hoped out of the trunk to a sea of friends. People asking me how I was, and how my parents were. As I was bombarded with questions, a gray horse came galloping from the arena. It's rider waving madly. I smiled as my best friend, Eli Ram, jumped off the back of his horse, threw the reins at the closest cowboy, and threw himself at me. I hadn't seen Eli since rodeo camp, so the reunion was emotional. By that time, Riley had  come to stand beside me. "Are you doing okay, Fish?" Eli said, breaking the hug. "I mean about Indie," he said. Riley looked at me with puzzled expression. "I'm as good as ever," I smiled. A true smile, not the fake one I'd been plastering on for months.

"Ok you fools," I yelled. "Y'all better get to practicing if you want a chance to even hold a candle to me and Willie this year," I grinned. A few back slaps and a fist bump later, I was unloading Willie and rosining my favorite Cactus Rope. Riley had mounted up immediately and was warming up Jay with a few other girls that I'd seen locally. I stopped and watched her for a minute. She and Jay were perfectly in sync, her legs were still against Jay's ribcage and her hands her soft. "Hurry up Fish," Eli rode by along with Tyler and Skylar, The Kimes twins. "I'm coming," I said. "No you ain't," Skylar laughed. "You're staring at your date," The trio laughed. "Hahaha," I managed through gritted teeth. I tied my rope to my saddle and swung into the saddle. Willie had been worked by the Gregory family, but I could feel his eagerness to rope again as we jogged to the arena.

Over the next few hours, we all practiced till our horses were all dripping with sweat. After I threw my tack in Riley's truck, I walked over to the line for the wash rack. Riley was talking to her friends as they stood in line. Eli got in line right behind me, and led his horse beside mine. "She's something," he said. I didn't take my eyes off of Riley. She laughed as her friends talked, her hair falling over her face. "I haven't felt this way since Indie died," I said softly. Eli patted my back. "You need to move on," he said. "The longer you wait, the harder it'll be." I nodded. "Make your move, Mr. Suave," Eli said a little too loud. I punched his shoulder playfully. "I'm going to ask her out," I whispered. Eli grinned. "Do it,"