fourteen

"Emma?"

I looked up from my shoes as Rossi escorted me out of the interrogation room. Spencer was across the room, his eyes wide with what looked like panic. His entire team was staring at me. I smiled weakly. In a matter of hours, I'd maybe fallen in love, my mom and brother-in-law were almost killed, and now I was a potential murder victim. Life was the opposite of pretty fucking lit.

"Hey honeybun," I teased, trying to stop from crying. Spencer charged forward and threw his arms around me. I sobbed into his shoulder, melting into his embrace. Words bubbled from me as I cried. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I should have told you. I'm sorry, Spence!"

"Shh, it's okay," he whispered in my ear, pressing a quick kiss to the top of my head. "Emma, it's okay. Don't be sorry. Please, there's no reason to be sorry." I let his words envelop me. It was okay. Spencer, a known and accepted genius, was telling me that it was going to be okay. I had to believe him. He wouldn't lie to me, would he?

He pulled away and wiped away my tears with his slightly shaking fingers. "I was worried about you." I smirked at him and poked his cheek.

"It's okay. That happens when you grow attached to someone," I laughed. I tried to match his usual matter-of-fact tone. He kissed my forehead twice. He was gentle, loving. I tried to subtly gesture with my head that the entire department was watching. He wrapped an arm around my waist and brought me over to the rest of the team. It suddenly hit me that I was meeting the family.

What if they didn't like me?

"This is Emma, my girlfriend," Spencer introduced, beaming. My heart soared. Girlfriend? Did he truly think of me as his girlfriend? My cheeks burned red but my lips were stretched into a bright smile. Spencer Reid didn't just like me. He like-liked me.

I waved, grinning goofily. "Hi." They stared at us, small smirks curling their lips. Spencer cleared his throat awkwardly. I grimaced. Well, this was my worst nightmare.

"Emma, this is Derek Morgan, Aaron Hotchner, Alex Blake, and you know Jennifer Jareau, more commonly referred to as JJ, and David Rossi," he rambled. My eyes widened as I realized he was just as nervous as I was. I was meeting the family and he was introducing me. He had the same fears. I squeezed his hand to comfort him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all, officially," I said, licking my lips. "I've heard so much about all of you." Did I sound sincere? Was my tone too bright? Were my eyes too wide? My anxiety was taking control and I suddenly couldn't breathe. Fuck me.

The woman identified as Alex Blake tilted her head and smiled kindly. "Spencer has told us all about you as well."

"He couldn't shut up about you, actually," Derek Morgan teased. He was the one Spencer considered a brother. He was handsome as Spencer described, but not my type. My type was, in two words, Spencer Reid. I was so pathetic. Meanwhile, my boyfriend was bright pink.

I nudged him with my hip, waggling my eyebrows. "Oh really? What did he say exactly?" Spencer let out something that resembled a squeak.

"We have a case to work on," he said loudly, shooting me a look. I pouted. So not fair. He narrowed his eyes at me. "Emma, please. We can do this when you're safe."

I bit my lip, still not used to the concept of me being in danger. "I'll always be safe as long as I'm with you, Spence." I took his free hand and squeezed it.

"Emma, could you please take a seat?" JJ asked, gesturing to the desk she leaned on. I nodded. I sat down, not letting go of Spencer. She gave the rest of the team a certain look and they disassembled, only Rossi staying behind. Spencer kissed my cheek and disappeared to the conference room. I knew he had a job to do, but I didn't want him to leave.

JJ took the seat behind the desk, smiling gently. Rossi stood next to her. My anxiety returned tenfold. My gaze fell to the desk. I counted pens in a cup. I'd been using counting as a coping skill since the hospital. It was a method I'd developed so that I would never be alone with my thoughts.

"We just need to ask you some questions," JJ assured me. Her eyes were kind. I nodded and scratched the back of my neck. "How did you know Jennifer Hawkins?"

I shrugged, pursing my lips. "Uh, I think she waited on me and Peyton a few times, but we usually sat in a girl named Skye's section. When she did wait on us, we would uh, engage in friendly chitchat, I guess." Rossi's gaze was boring into me like salt through a snail. I was shaking slightly.

"Can you think of anyone you've seen everywhere?" Rossi asked. "Someone whose face has appeared everywhere you go?"

"Um, no," I answered. I racked my brain. "Not that I can think of."

JJ's gaze flickered down. "What about a car, maybe?" I shook my head. I hardly ever left the house except to run errands, go to lunch with Peyton, and tutor Annie. I spent most of my time taking care of my mom. My quivering increased tenfold. The only people I interacted with were cashiers, waiters, Peyton and her family, Mom, and the occasional bank teller. I was isolated.

"No, no," I said, shaking my head. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I can't do this. I need to talk to Beth. She needs to know that I had nothing to do...I need to make sure my mother's okay. Oh God, I need to see Ethan. JJ, please." My vision blurred with tears. My mind raced. All I could think about was the look on Beth's face. The accusation in her tone.

"What did you do Emma? What the fuck did you do?"

She never cursed in front of Ethan. She rarely cursed, ever. She said it was vulgar. Pointless. 

"Did you hurt Ben? You fucking cunt! Of course you did. You've always been so jealous of me! I hate you! I never want to see you again."

"Hey, hey, Emma," Spencer whispered. He just appeared by my side, his hands cupping my cheeks. His eyes were shining with concern. My hands, quaking with anxiety, reached out to grip the lapels of his suit jacket. I needed something to hold. I needed something to ground me.

"Emma, you're going to be okay." His words were quiet. "I promise you, I am going to protect you." I shook my head desperately. My heart pounded furiously in my chest. I was having trouble getting my words out. I was experiencing a panic attack.

I licked my lips. "No, Spence, it's not that. It's not that. Beth...she thinks I'm a monster." Spencer furrowed his brow. His thumb ghosted over my skin, wiping away falling tears. I hoped I didn't look as gross as I felt.

"Don't worry, baby," he murmured, leaning in to press his lips against my forehead. "She'll forgive you. I'll ask Morgan and Blake to go pick her up from the hospital and-and I'll call your mother's doctor-"

"You're too good for me," I laughed shakily. He shrugged half-heartedly. We sat there together, mumbling sweet, nonsensical things. It was as if the entire world faded away and it was just us. I knew it then and there. I was madly in love with Spencer Reid.

*

a/n: OMFG I'M SO SORRY THIS CHAPTER TOOK SO LONG ALSO PROPS TO MY BABE kalopsia-ws-- FOR HELPING ME WITH THE ENDING I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

I HONESTLY COMPLETELY FORGOT I HAD AN ACTUAL CHAPTER TO UPLOAD TODAY WHICH IS WHY THIS IS SO LATE I'M SORRY I LOVE YOU ALL AND THANK YOU SO MUCH I COULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR BETTER READERS

ALSO I WANT TO GIVE YOU GUYS A CUTE NICKNAME SO COMMENT HERE WITH ANY IDEAS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU ALL SO FUCKING MUCH 

ANYWAY NEXT UPDATE IS GOING TO BE A BIT...UNUSUAL...SO THE FIRST PERSON TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS GETS A PRIZE OF THEIR CHOOSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR READING MY STORY AND FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT