Chapter 8

As the bright sunlight crept into the room and the warmth of summer seeped into Dominique's skin, she stretched and yawned. After rolling around for a bit, Dominique blinked and slowly awoke. She observed her surroundings sluggishly. Either she was extremely hung over or she wasn't in her room because she did not recognize this place at all.

   She crawled out of the warm, fluffy blanket and padded toward the door. She looked down and noticed that she was wearing a big T-shirt with a cartoon robot on it. She raised her eyebrows but didn't bother to think more of it. It hurt her head too much to think. Rather, she studied the paintings lining the walls of the hallway she was walking down. They were all different sizes and of different subjects. Some were landscapes, and others were objects. What they all had in common was that they were all very soothing to look at. Dominique wasn't sure why. 

As she neared the end of the hallway, she began to hear sizzling noises accompanied with the irresistible aroma of a homemade breakfast. When she turned the corner, she saw Mila at the kitchen, flipping pancakes while eating some of the ones already cooked with her free hand. 

Dominique smiled. "Eager much?" She didn't know why she felt so comfortable with Mila at that moment. Maybe it was because Mila was much less intimidating in just a T-shirt and boxers or maybe it was because Mila had already seen her drunk. Things couldn't get much worse.

Mila looked up. "Oh, hey," she mumbled, her mouth full of pancake. "Good morning." 

Dominique laughed. "Should I even ask why I just woke up here?"

Mila shook her head no. "We'll get to that part later. For now," she said, grinning mischievously at the food in front of her, "pancakes?"

Dominique nodded. "Please. I'm starving."

"Good, I am, too. Sit down," Mila said, gesturing at the stools at the open kitchen. Dominique nodded and sat. As she waited for Mila to finish up the pancakes, she looked around again. Mila's   apartment was very tastefully furnished, and there were paintings everywhere. Then, she noticed the pillow and the blanket on the couch. "Did you sleep on the couch last night?"

Mila nodded. "Uh huh."

"I stole your bed, didn't I?"

"I offered."

"Really?"

Mila grinned. "Well, no, not really. I just kind of stuffed you into the bed." Dominique laughed.

"Sorry about that. I bet I'm not a very attractive drunk." Mila tilted her head thoughtfully.

"Actually, you are one of the few people who can pull off sexy drunk."

"Really?" Dominique asked, placing her hand on her chest for dramatic effect. "Why, thank you," she joked.

Grinned at Her quotas.

"I can't cook to save my life," Dominique suddenly said.

Mila chuckled. "I can teach you sometime."

"Yeah?"

"Uh huh."

"Cool, 'cause Michelle already gave up trying to teach me."

Mila faked a wince. "Damn, what did I get myself into?" she joked.

"Hey! No turning back now. You promised," Dominique said with a smug smile.

"Well, okay, just as long as you live up to your end of the promise."

"What? Show up here and learn a basic life skill?" Mila laughed. Dominique had such a quirky sense of humor. "Strawberries with your pancakes?"

"Yes, please."

"In the shape of a smiley face?"

Dominique's eyes widened in a mixture of happiness and surprise. "Oh, my God, how did you know?"Mila chuckled.

"That's how I like my pancakes, too."

"Mmm," Dominique said slowly, "I see we have something in common."

Mila didn't respond. She just continued staring at the pan, flipping the pancakes as a subtle smile appeared at her lips. As the two of them sat on Mila's couch with their smiley face pancakes, Mila explained what had happened the night before.

"...and then you told me you didn't have your keys, so I brought you back here," she finished. 

Dominique nodded. "Hey, Mila?"

"Mm-hmm?" Mila responded while chewing on a bite of pancake.

"Thanks."

Mila swallowed. "Yeah, of course. After all you are my boss