17.

The main foyer literally smells of stress, all of Gus and Elaine’s guests bustling about looking distraught.  It crosses my mind momentarily that most of these people should probably be busy looking for the woman in question but I push the thought away rapidly.  The last thing I need right now is any negativity.

I shove through the crowd of people with gusto, saying a polite excuse me every now and then.  Everyone seems to flash peculiar glances in my direction, my anger rising with each one.  I’m busy trying to decipher where Elaine could’ve gone when a nosy-looking old lady approaches me.

“I don’t recognize you.  Why are you wearing the bridesmaids’ dress?” she sneers.

I can feel my eyes widen, jaw immediately locked.  “You must have made a mistake.  It’s just a red dress.”

She gestures at my dress sharply, fabric still slightly hidden underneath Harry’s suit jacket.  Her pointed nose crinkles, “Only the bridesmaids and groomsmen were required to wear red, dear.”

I frown, ready to sass her out but as I look around, I realize she’s right.  Nobody else is wearing red at all, everybody adorned in their own choice of dress or suit tie.  My heart drops into my stomach as I remember Elaine specifically saying she wanted everyone to wear the special colour.

Something definitely feels wrong.

“Whatever,” I snap, “Maybe instead of worrying about what colour everyone’s wearing, you should be busy searching for Elaine.  I heard she’s missing?” I finish with mock politeness, the venom in my voice evident.  The old lady leans back, offended and I stride past her.

Trying to shake off the bizarre bridesmaid mix-up, I peer into the main room of the church but fail to find any comfort.  The vast rows of pews are all empty, the room decorated to what I presume is Elaine’s liking.  I scurry up the aisle quickly, peering down every row in case the bride-to-be somehow found sanctuary in one of them.  Coming up empty, I stand at the head of the pews desperately wracking my brain.  How many rooms does this church even have?

I try the bathroom on a whim and find nothing but a few bridesmaids poised in front of the mirror fixing their makeup.  They glare in my direction as I walk in, all wearing matching, floor-length, red dresses.

“Who are you?” one of them sneers.

“The only one who cares about Elaine, apparently,” I respond snidely, retreating as quickly as possible.

I return to the foyer, practically spinning in circles.  It’s frustratingly hard to see through all of these people, various bodies acting as large roadblocks. 

“No wonder nobody can find her,” I mumble to myself.

Then, I see it.  Tucked away in the quietest corner of the foyer is a door, hanging slightly ajar.  It’s breathtakingly old and completely made of wood, almost giving off the appearance that it’s older than the church itself.  I rush towards it and grip the door handle cautiously, poking my nose inside.

It’s pitch black.  I can vaguely make out a set of stairs leading downwards but the rest is practically oblivion.  I take a big deep breath, closing my eyes and desperately wishing I hadn’t been so snippy and stubborn with Harry.  I’d definitely feel a whole lot safer with him by my side.

I take a quick glance back at the main room to find everyone too interested in themselves to care about a weird girl disappearing into the basement.  I pull my phone out from my clutch, switching on the assistive light.  It illuminates the rest of the cement staircase which seems to lead on forever.

“Here goes nothing,” I whisper to myself, mostly for comfort.

Then, I descend into darkness.