prologue.

/In ● vict ● us/

Unconquerable, undefeated. ❞

The air was heavy with silent mourning and murmured apologies through clenched teeth and chapped lips. Men wore rumpled collars, women wore tear-drenched makeup and newly purchased black attire that reflected the colour of the atmosphere. And it was all a bit too fitting, if you were to ask the family, that the weather and the tears and uneasy silence would take place just the way they were supposed to on today, of all days. It was as if the earth was trained to spin and tilt according to circumstance, but that would mean that this tragedy was eventful and more than a simple glitch in the grand scheme of the universe.

However, as most deaths tend to, this particular departure was contained to a few small families and a plethora of friends who were feeling too cowardly to even attend the funeral. It would be comforting to believe that the sun was a little dimmer and the sky was a little less blue and the hearts of billions were beating a little slower in response to this loss, but that just wasn’t the way the world worked—no matter how many prayers and wishes and angry pleas the night sky had to endure.

Only to a few of the funeral attenders—the ones with predominantly deep frowns and especially dark circles under their eyes—did the world blend into muted tones of grey and chilly weather. Only to a small, weeping group of misfits did it feel like the sun had gone out.