America

Personality-

He is surprisingly shy. He ironically hides it by acting extremely extroverted. It's part of the reason why he and Canada actually get along sometimes, because they both have the ability to just sneak away from public places.

He's a good spy. No one expects him to be able to actually sneak around and gather information without being distracted, which is why he makes a good spy.

He's a complete

And utter

NERD.

Since America technically has no "real" language, he can speak a TON of languages. Fluently. He can speak Irish, German, Italian, English (duh), Japanese, Chinese, Hindi, Latin American Spanish, French, and a few more. None of them are his "home" language, either. He just prefers English.

This means that when he's extremely upset or angry, he'll switch between languages like a maniac. He'll even switch languages in between sentences, sometimes using up to five or six languages in a single sentence.

This makes tense world meetings very confusing. The nations tend to work together to find out what America is saying during times like this, since more often than not, one of them can understand at least ONE of the words. And they can't ask America either- he doesn't realize what he's doing, and will respond to the poor country doing the asking's question even more confusingly.  It's become a game between the nations, and a surprisingly effective teamwork exercise.

He switches between accents too. If he's not quite upset enough to switch languages, he'll adopt an accent without realizing it.

The most common is a British accent.

America is particularly embarrassed about this, but he can't really do much about it.

England will tease him about "stealing" his accent, but he secretly enjoys it. It reminds him of back when America was his little brother, relying on England and England was teaching him everything he needed to know.

America had lost his British accent a few months before the Revolutionary War, one of the signs that he was beginning to not need England anymore.

Speaking of the Revolutionary War...

I think America wanted to become his own country not to escape from England- because even though England was controlling at times, he was still a good big brother and America knew it- it was because America wanted to be like England.

England was America's hero. And in order to be more like him, America had to be his own country.

And besides, America's mental state and his body's age were in Teenager mode, when you begin to go out on your own.

England didn't understand America's motives. He thought he was simply being rebellious.

He also didn't want to see that America was growing up.

Because in all honestly, America got his stubbornness, fighting spirit, pride, and want of independence from England. England definitely raised him like his own.

I think that it truly became a war when England panicked.

I think America went to him and asked for independence. England didn't want him to leave, so without thinking he said no. He didn't realize that by saying that, he'd basically crushed America's dreams.

But America is a dreamer. And he had the ability to make his dream a reality, so he did.

I get the feeling that he asked multiple times too. But since each time England said no, he felt like he was taking the wrong approach.