Arrival

(this story takes place on a planet similar to Earth)

The day was harsh, with steaming rays of sunlight streaming down on the desert sand. As a young explorer made her way through the long, unforgiving terrain she paused to take a rest a drink some replenishing water she had brought. Her name was Gwendolyn. She, like many other explorers, was looking for a long lost amulet that belonged to an ancient tyrant who once ruled over this unnamed place. No one dared give it a name, for they we're frightened that the ancient tyrant would haunt them for naming what once was his.

Gwendolyn continued onward, her mind swirling with thought of how beautiful the amulet would look in her collection. She had heard many stories of its power and glamour and wanted it herself. Many said the tyrant would take over the body of someone who tried to steal his prized possession. Others were too frightened to even speak of the amulet after hearing such tales but, many explorers were intrigued by it that they started a hunt for the amulet. Gwendolyn was just one of many who was searching for the foretold item but she knew she must get it first, her heart ached at the thought of someone else holding the treasure.

Finally, as the day drew to an end, she arrived at the Temple of Darkfire. Gwendolyn was too exhausted to go any further and set up a small beige tent and tried to start a fire. As she started to kindle the flames a gust of cold air flew at her and the fire quickly went out. She muttered a few curses and went back to starting the fire. When she got the flames high enough she pulled a lizard like creature out of her burlap sack. This creature was native to the area but were very easy to hunt. Gwen stuck a long iron rod she had packed into the lizard and cooked it. When it was smoking she took it off the fire and began to eat. The tough, leathery skin of the lizard was now soft and easier to chew. As she finished she went into the tent and snatched a tattered journal from under her pillow and began to write. She wrote and drew in a tiny script that was barely legible. Her writing told about what had happened that day, how she had tricked a fellow explorer into thinking she was just an average hiker. Also, when she caught the lizard she had just scarfed down. Everything about her journey was documented in the tainted white pages.

Morning dawned and Gwendolyn quickly awoke, not remembering when she had fallen asleep. The sun's blistering rays of light made her forehead throb as she walked out of her tent. When she finished packing her things she made her way to the temple entrance. It was enwrapped with long prickly vines and it wore an emblem on the center. Gwen took out a delicate brush and wiped away the sand, when she was finished the door slowly opened and she crept inside the dark hall that appeared before her. It was too dark to go on without some source of light so she felt along the wall and finally could feel a long torch. She grabbed it and quickly lit it with the matches in her pocket.

The long hall was dark and had ancient script scrawled in both sides. This place frightened her but she yearned for the ruby amulet. Everything from this moment on mattered the most. There were challenges to deem the worthy and keep the unworthy away. She must be vigilant and make sure to passed them all. Since it appeared that she was the first to enter the pyramid she knew that relying on other peoples' mistakes would not be an option.