Part 1

The sterile hospital air does little to soothe my frostbitten cheeks.
The bags in my hands are heavy and my feet are sore, but I still decide to take the stairs two at a time until I reach the sixth floor. The auburn-haired nurse taps away at her keyboard and says something about the weather. I ignore her and keep walking, not trying to be rude, just eager to eat my food and see my son. My five year old warrior resides in room 102, from which you can hear the steady whirr of cancer-fighting machines. The doctors have told me that there hasn't been a case recorded like this one in 15 years. Cancer had slowly disappeared over time, due to advanced treatments and genetic testing and so on. But for whatever reason, my son, John Metais Imparis, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Leukemia at age two.

As I'm walking to our designated and practical first home, I find myself face-to-face with our country's elector, Anden. I shift the weight on my feet as the hairs on the back of my neck prick up. Something's wrong. 

"Is everything alright?" I question him, becoming immediately aware of the unusual amount of soldiers that clutter the hallway. 

"Everything's perfectly fine." he says in a rehearsed, monotone voice. I raise an eyebrow and start to push past him, and I notice the soldiers tense up as I move forward.

I reach for the handle of the hospital room door but Anden rests his hand on my shoulder. I pause, and I let my eyes follow his gaze. Through the tiny glass window in the center of the door, I see a body slumped over in the chair next to my son who is asleep in bed. The person has their head in their hands, their blonde hair framing their face perfectly. My mouth dries up. It's been over 5 years, but I still recognize him. My eyes search for something, anything to make sure he isn't merely a dream. 

A faint glint of silver catches my eye, and my heart drops. A ring made of woven paperclips sits upon his finger. Paperclips. I step backwards into a solider, dropping my bags as I go. Anden tries to help steady me, but I push him away. I sprint down the hallway, back down the stairs.

The frostbitten air does little to soothe my tearstained cheeks.