V

August 1915,
Westminster.

A telegram came to the Hayes family, along with a representative - William had personally delivered the pendant to Alfred's daughter. Alfred had died for him, so it seems fitting that he would fulfil his will. Poor Mrs. Hayes grieved the most, for she had become a widow by now and lost the loving affection of her beloved husband. Miss Hayes had to comfort her mother and she appeared strong, but deep inside William knew that she was as torn as her mother.

"I am very sorry for your loss," William said as he bowed before leaving the house.

He temporarily stood in front of the house after he walked away, letting out a heavy sigh. He watched as sunset came, and the family drew the blinds - a sign of mourning. The atmosphere that very evening was a sombre one. He knew the extent of their grief, for Alfred to him was also more than as a friend; he was family, a brother.

He muttered a silent prayer under his breath, praying for his happiness and that he may rest in peace in the heavens above, and walked away with a solemn 'Amen'.

~
March 1916,
The battlefront.

The news of Elizabeth's marriage has reached William. He was happy for her, but saddened by the fact that he was not there to celebrate. The war's far from over, and he had to be here to defend whatever they need to defend. He was really fed up, and started to regret his decision.

He imagined how beautiful his little sister would have looked like with her flowy wedding gown and a dazzling smile. She was married to a good and reputable gentlement named Mr. Rowland who had a dairy farm stretching half a mile away, and a bountiful vineyard. He could provide Elizabeth with a good living. That, he was sure of. At the end of the day, it's Elizabeth's happiness that mattered the most to him no matter how far they were from each other.

Right now, he has to focus on the enemies retaliating their attacks and advancements ahead of them. By hook or by crook, they need to be fend off.

Another explosion from the German tanks.

Shouts, screams, and-

"BOOM!"

Flesh, blood and body parts lying everywhere.

The waste of youth and human life.

Dehumanization.

Nothing to be proud about being treated like animals.

In the end, all you have are shallow graves and dust.

Another blast from the tanks of the anti-Germans.

Another blast from the grenades.

Another high-pitched rattle from the guns.

Two countries fighting each other, ravaging each other, destroying each other. What was the purpose again?

Horrifying explosions resonated in William's ears, as well as his comrades'. The war intensified as time passed by, without signs of ending. Sparks of explosions and gunshots lit up like fireflies in a field. The battlefield became dustier than ever, and he could not see properly what was ahead of him.

At the back of his eyes, he saw Elizabeth and himself as children running across the field at night, chasing fireflies. Beautiful fireflies that were meant to be free, but how their light died off so quickly as dawn came and how they fluttered silently in the wind.

Lights of the world, like stars of the night sky, gracing the earth with its luminous lights.

William slumped to the ground, fallen and lost.